March 20, 2014
- Michigan State is now 22-6 in its first game of the NCAA Tournament, and 18-6 in the round of 64. MSU advanced to the round of 32 for the 18th time in school history.
- The Spartans improved to 3-0 in NCAA Tournament games in Spokane, Wash., as they went 2-0 as the No. 5 seed in the Midwest Regional in 2010 en route to their last Final Four appearance in Indianapolis.
- Adreian Payne totaled an MSU NCAA Tournament-record 41 points, breaking the previous mark held by Greg Kelser (34 vs. Notre Dame, 1979). His 41 points marked the most scored by a Tom Izzo-coached player. Payne set career highs for points (41), field goals made (10 - tied), 3-point field-goals made (4 - tied) and free throws (17).
- Payne scored 23 first-half points against Delaware, including 17 straight points for the Spartans during one stretch.
- Shooting 17-of-17 from the free-throw line, Payne set an NCAA Tournament record for most free throws made in a game without a miss. (Previous record shared by Princeton's Bill Bradley and Wyoming's Fennis Dembo - 16 each).
- Payne's 17 made free throws and attempts surpasses Ervin "Magic" Johnson (14-of-15) for the most free throws made and attempted by a Spartan in a NCAA Tournament game. He ties for fourth all-time in MSU history for most free throws made (Sam Vincent vs. Ohio State on 2/24/1983).
- Shooting 100 percent from the line, Payne tied Maurice Ager (10-for-10 vs. North Carolina on April 2, 2005) for the best free-throw percentage in MSU NCAA Tournament history.
- Payne's 41 points are tied for second all-time in NCAA Tournament by a Big Ten player. Purdue's Glenn Robinson scored 44 against Kansas in 1994. He is just the third Big Ten player to score 40 or more points in NCAA Tournament history.
- Payne of is second player in Tournament history to score 40, shoot 67 percent from the floor and 100 percent from the charity stripe (Princeton's Bill Bradley against Providence in 1965).
- The 93 points scored against Delaware are the fourth-most all-time by Michigan State in an NCAA Tournament game (101 vs. Penn on 3/24/1979, 95 vs. Lamar on 3/11/1979, 94 vs. Kentucky on 3/27/2005).
- Payne led the Spartans to their best free-throw percentage this season, shooting 23-for-25 for 92 percent from the line.
- Payne scored the most points for an MSU player since Terry Furlow had 41 vs. Detroit on Dec. 22, 1975. It ties the 10th-highest single-game scoring total in school history and marks the first 40-point game by a Spartan since Shawn Respert had 40 vs. Indiana on Jan. 11, 1995.
- Travis Trice scored a season-high 19 points against Delaware, including a career-best seven made field goals. His 19 points matched his NCAA Tournament career total. Trice netted 13 of his 19 points in the second half on 5-of-5 shooting from the field, including 2-for-2 from 3-point range, and 1-of-1 from the free-throw line.
- Michigan State shot 54 percent (30-of-56) from the floor against Delaware. It marks the third straight game the Spartans have hit at least 50 percent of their field-goal attempts (57 percent vs. Wisconsin in the Big Ten Tournament semifinals and 50 percent vs. Michigan in the Big Ten Tournament Championship Game).
- The Spartans went on a 12-0 run over a four minute stretch in the first half to mark the 18th game this season that MSU has posted at least a 10-0 run.