No. 9/9 Michigan State Visits Illinois on Monday Night
East Lansing, Mich. -
Michigan State’s men’s basketball team plays its third Big Ten Conference road game of the season on Monday, Jan. 22, visiting Illinois. Tip-off is slated for 9 p.m. (ET). Here is a closer look at Monday night’s game.
On the Air
The game will be shown live on FS1, with Tim Brando calling the play-by-play and Bill Raftery serving as the color analyst. The Spartan Sports Network radio call can be heard on one of 38 affiliates and on the web at SpartanSportsNetwork.com, with Will Tieman handling the play-by-play and Matt Steigenga serving as the color analyst. The game can also be heard on Sirius/XM and Internet 81.
Last Time Out
Sophomore guard/forward Miles Bridges scored a game-high 22 points and Nick Ward had a double-double with 18 points and 13 rebounds to lead five players in double figures as No. 9 Michigan State cruised to an 85-57 win over Indiana on the Breslin Center Friday night … Michigan State jumped out to a 42-23 lead at the break, connecting on 50 percent of its first half field goals (14-of-28), while handing out 11 assists … MSU used an 18-0 run over a span of 5:13 and took a 27-10 lead on a 3-pointer from Cassius Winston with 10:39 to play in the half … MSU took its biggest lead of the game, 82-50, on a layup from graduate student Ben Carter with 2:31 left.
• MSU is 4-1 in games played away from home this year.
• The Spartans rank No. 1 in the country in field goal percentage defense (34.8 percent), No. 2 in scoring margin (+21.6), No. 1 in blocked shots per game (8.0), No. 2 in rebound margin (+11.6) and No. 21 in scoring defense (63.7 ppg).
• MSU also ranks No. 3 in field goal percentage (51.8 percent), No. 1 in assists (21.3 apg) and No. 17 in scoring offense (85.2 ppg).
• Sophomore Miles Bridges is the only player in the country averaging at least 16.5 points, 7.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 1.0 blocks per game.
• Michigan State and Illinois meet for the 119th time on Monday, Jan. 22.
• Each team has won 59 games in the series, with the Illini posting a 73-70 win at home last year.
• The Spartans have won 10 of the last 16 against Illinois and 12 of the last 19.
• Nineteen of the last 21 games in the series have been decided by 10 points or fewer.
• Tom Izzo is 22-17 in his career against the Illini.
• Illinois enters the game on Monday, Jan. 22 with a 10-10 overall record and an 0-7 mark in the Big Ten.
• The Fighting Illini have lost their last five games, including a 75-50 decision at Wisconsin on Friday night.
• Junior forward Leron Black leads the team with 14.5 points and 5.5 rebounds per game.
• He is one of three players scoring in double figures, along with freshman guard Trent Frazier, who is second with 11.0 points and is tied for the team lead with 2.8 assists, and junior forward Michael Finke, who is third on the team with 10.3 points and second with 5.4 rebounds.