Spartans And Buckeyes Battle In Big Ten Championship Game
March 11, 2012
The Opening Tip
MSU Basketball Notes
* MSU ranks second in the nation in field-goal percentage defense (.376). Its current .377 field-goal percentage defense is the lowest percentage of the Izzo era.
* Over the last four years, the 2012 class has posted a 104-38 record, equalling the 2000 class for the fifth-winningest class in school history, one behind the 2011 class.
* MSU is 65-26 (.714) in March since the 1998-99 season. For his career, Izzo is 72-33 (.686) in March.
* With 1,046 career rebounds, Draymond Green ranks second in MSU history, 46 behind Greg Kelser (1,092) in first place. At his current 10.4 rpg average, Green would need to play five more games to become the all-time leader. Green ranks 16th in the nation in rebounding (through March 8).
* Draymond Green leads the Big Ten and ranks 9th in the nation (through March 8) with 19 double-doubles. Green has tallied 37 career double-doubles, ranking second most by a Spartan since 1975-76, trailing only Greg Kelser (48).
* The Spartans are allowing just 59.0 points (ranking 12th in the nation through March 8) on .377 shooting (2nd in nation), including .294 from 3-point range (8th in nation). The Spartans rank third in the Big Ten in scoring defense, first in field-goal percentage defense and second in 3-point field-goal percentage defense. Only two teams have shot 50 percent or better from the field, while 22 have shot under 41 percent, including five below 30 percent.
* In MSU's seven wins over ranked opponents, the Spartan defense has been outstanding, holding opponents to 57.3 points on .362 shooting. Offensively, Draymond Green (17.6 ppg) and Keith Appling (15.1 ppg) pace the Spartans in wins over ranked opponents.
* Draymond Green leads the Spartans with 45 made 3-pointers and 116 3-point attempts. He's made three or more 3-pointers in four of the last six games.
* Draymond Green leads the nation with six games of at least 20 points, 10 rebounds and five assists this year. Since 1996-97, Evan Turner is the only player from a power six conference to have more such games in a single season, recording seven in 2009-10.
* Currently averaging 16.2 ppg, 10.4 rpg and 3.6 apg, Draymond Green is looking to become the first player from a power six conference to average 15 points, 10 rebounds and 3 assists in a season since Tim Duncan accomplished the feat in 1996-97.
* Draymond Green has led MSU in rebounding in 27 of 33 games, while pacing the Spartans in scoring in 19 games and in assists in 12 games. He's the only player in the Big Ten to rank in the top 10 in scoring (5th), rebounding (1st) and assists (8th).
* The Spartans rank third in the nation in rebounding margin (through March 8). With a current margin of +8.7, they have out-rebounded 26 of 33 opponents. In the Tom Izzo era, MSU has out-rebounded 443 of 577 opponents (.768), posting a 350-93 (.790) mark in those games.
* The Spartans rank second in the conference and 8th in the nation in 3-point FG% defense (through March 8), allowing opponents to shoot just .294 from behind the arc. MSU has held 11 opponents to a .250 or lower shooting percentage from behind the arc. That happened just four times all of last season. Nineteen opponents have shot .300 or lower, including 12 of the last 19.
* Through the first six games of the season, MSU was shooting just .269 from 3-point range (32-119). In the last 26 games, however, the Spartans have been on target, connecting on .396 of their shots (154-389) from behind the arc.
* Michigan State ranks 26th in the nation (through March 8) and second in the Big Ten in assists with 15.3 per game. The Spartans have recorded an assist on 59.1 percent of their baskets.
* Over the first six games of the season, MSU shot .423 from the field and .238 from 3-point range. In the last 27 games, however, MSU has shown dramatic improvement, hitting .489 from the field and .396 from 3-point range. The Spartans have shot over 50 percent in 14 of the last 26 games, including four contests at 60 percent or better.
* With 1,452 points, he ranks 18th in MSU history, needing 17 to move past Charlie Bell (1,468 points).
* Michigan State is outscoring opponents, 398-300, in second-chance points for the season. That's an average of +3.0 points per game (12.1-9.1). MSU grabs 37.5 percent of its misses, ranking first in the conference.
* In the first 73 games of his career, Derrick Nix scored in double figures just three times; he's done it 10 times in the last 26 contests, scoring eight or more points in 17 of the last 26 games. He's been MSU's first sub in 29 of the 32 games in which he's come off the bench.
* The Spartans are 11-0 when committing fewer turnovers than their opponent, but just 11-7 when they have more (4-0 when equal).
* Michigan State has out-scored its opponents in the paint by an average of 34.1-21.7, out-scoring 29 of its 33 opponents.
MSU Big Ten Tournament Notes
* Draymond Green ranks third in Big Ten Tournament history with 80 rebounds, trailing only Iowa's Reggie Evans (95) and Illinois' James Augustine (85).
* Michigan State is shooting .546 from the field, including .519 from 3-point range, while holding opponents to .392 from the field.
* Keith Appling has 11 assists against just three turnovers, good for a 3.7 assist-to-turnover ratio.
Game #33 Notes - MSU 65 - Wisconsin 52
* Draymond Green grabbed a MSU Big Ten Tournament record 16 rebounds, equalling the sixth-best single-game effort in league history.
* Draymond Green scored 12 of his 14 points and grabbed 11 of his 16 rebounds in the second half.
* Draymond Green climbed into second place in career rebounds (1,046), passing Johnny Green, and moved into a tie with Scott Skiles for second place in career steals (175).
* Austin Thornton knocked down a career-high four 3-pointers, hitting all four of his shots.
* After falling behind 20-9 when Jared Berggren hit a 3-pointer with 10:13 left in the first half, MSU closed the half on a 26-5 run, and opened the second half on a 11-2 run, completing a 37-7 run.
* MSU's rally from an 11-point deficit equalled its largest comeback of the season, having previously trailed Central Connecticut State by 11.
MSU vs. Ohio State Notes
Spartans Vs. Buckeyes In Big Ten Tournament
The MSU-OSU Season Series
The Meeting In Columbus
The Meeting In East Lansing
at the official