Michigan State Battles Maryland For A Trip To Sweet 16
March 20, 2010
EAST LANSING, Mich. -
March 21, 2010
Radio: Spartan Sports Network - Will Tieman (Play by Play),
Gus Ganakas and Matt Steigenga (Color), Adam Ruff (Host)
Flagship - WJIM 1240 AM/WMMQ 94.9 FM;
The Opening Tip
Michigan State Basketball Notes
* Under head coach Tom Izzo, Michigan State has a spectacular 14-3 record in the second game of a weekend in NCAA Tournament play. The Spartans' only three losses have come when playing a No. 1 seed.
* Michigan State is appearing in its 13th straight NCAA Tournament, good for the nation's third-longest active streak.
* Tom Izzo is 32-11 (.744) all-time in NCAA Tournament action, good for the nation's third-best winning percentage among active coaches, trailing only Mike Krzyzewski (.766) and Roy Williams (.753).
* Michigan State is 11-5 all-time as a No. 5 seed, including one trip to the Final Four and three trips to the Sweet 16.
* The Big Ten Conference is 4-1 through the first round of the 2010 NCAA Tournament.
* MSU ranks seventh all-time in NCAA Tournament winning percentage at .690 (49-22).
* Since the NCAA Tournament expanded to 64 teams in 1985, Michigan State has advanced to the second round 14 previous times. MSU has a 10-4 record in second-round games, including winning eight of its last nine.
* Over the last six games, Raymar Morgan is averaging 16.2 points and 8.8 rebounds, leading the team in both categories.
* Michigan State is holding opponents to .388 shooting and 60.2 points in the last eight games.
* MSU has committed 10 or fewer turnovers in six of the last nine and seven of the last 12 games, averaging 12.3 turnovers in the last nine games.
* Michigan State grabs 40.3 percent of its missed shots on the offensive glass.
* Michigan State has out-rebounded 25 of 33 teams and tied three. The Spartans are 21-4 when out-rebounding an opponent, but 4-4 when failing to do so.
* Draymond Green leads MSU in rebounding at 8.1 boards per game, recording double-figure rebounds in 11 games. Further demonstrating his versatility, he ranks first on the team in steals (42), second in blocks (27), third in assists (3.0 apg) and field-goal percentage (.534) and fourth in scoring (9.8 ppg).
* Draymond Green has come off the bench in 30 of 33 games, but ranks fourth on the team in minutes played.
* Raymar Morgan is one of just five players in MSU history with 1,500 career points and 700 career rebounds.
* Michigan State is 57-22 in March since 1998-99. For his career, Tom Izzo is 64-29 in March.
* Nine different Spartans are averaging 7.3 minutes or more, including seven at 20.3 minutes or more, led by Kalin Lucas at 31.6 mpg.
* MSU has used 17 different starting lineups this season.
* In 25 wins, MSU is averaging just 13.4 turnovers, compared to 15.3 in losses.
* MSU is 20-1 when holding teams below 41 percent shooting, but 5-7 when an opponent shoots above 41 percent. The Spartans are allowing opponents to shoot .492 in their losses, compared to .377 in victory.
* Michigan State's bench is averaging 24.7 points per game, compared to 16.3 points for opponents.
* Led by Draymond Green with seven double-doubles, at least one Spartan has recored a double-double in 16 games.
* Michigan State has recorded an assist on 62.4 percent of its baskets.
* Raymar Morgan currently ranks fifth in free-throw attempts (557), seventh in games started (116), tied for seventh in free throws made (374), 10th in career rebounding (745 rebounds) and 11th in career scoring (1,556 points).
* Michigan State is 10-6 away from home this season, including 2-2 on a neutral court.
Game 33 Recap - MSU 70 - New Mexico St. 67
at the official