March 20, 2010
EAST LANSING, Mich. -
NCAA Tournament Second Round
No. 5 Michigan State (25-8, 14-4)
vs. No. 4 Maryland (24-8, 13-3)
March 21, 2010
2:30 p.m. EDT
Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena
Radio: Spartan Sports Network - Will Tieman (Play by Play),
Gus Ganakas and Matt Steigenga (Color), Adam Ruff (Host)
Flagship - WJIM 1240 AM/WMMQ 94.9 FM;
TV: CBS - Tim Brando (Play by Play), Mike Gminski (Color)
The Opening Tip
Michigan State and Maryland meet for the fourth time in the last eight years as the Spartans and Terrapins square off in the second round. The only previous meeting in the NCAA Tournament was a thriller as MSU notched a 60-58 win in the 2003 Sweet 16. The Spartans are in search of their third straight trip to the Sweet 16 and their ninth under Tom Izzo.
Michigan State Basketball Notes
* The Michigan State-Maryland series is tied 2-2. The Spartans won the only previous meeting in the NCAA Tournament, a 60-58 decision in the 2003 Sweet 16 in San Antonio. Paul Davis scored MSU's final six points en route to a team-high 13 points, hitting the game-winning basket with 4.7 seconds left.
* Under head coach Tom Izzo, Michigan State has a spectacular 14-3 record in the second game of a weekend in NCAA Tournament play. The Spartans' only three losses have come when playing a No. 1 seed.
* Michigan State is appearing in its 13th straight NCAA Tournament, good for the nation's third-longest active streak.
* Tom Izzo is 32-11 (.744) all-time in NCAA Tournament action, good for the nation's third-best winning percentage among active coaches, trailing only Mike Krzyzewski (.766) and Roy Williams (.753).
* Michigan State is 11-5 all-time as a No. 5 seed, including one trip to the Final Four and three trips to the Sweet 16.
* The Big Ten Conference is 4-1 through the first round of the 2010 NCAA Tournament.
* MSU ranks seventh all-time in NCAA Tournament winning percentage at .690 (49-22).
* Since the NCAA Tournament expanded to 64 teams in 1985, Michigan State has advanced to the second round 14 previous times. MSU has a 10-4 record in second-round games, including winning eight of its last nine.
* Over the last six games, Raymar Morgan is averaging 16.2 points and 8.8 rebounds, leading the team in both categories.
* Michigan State is holding opponents to .388 shooting and 60.2 points in the last eight games.
* MSU has committed 10 or fewer turnovers in six of the last nine and seven of the last 12 games, averaging 12.3 turnovers in the last nine games.
* Michigan State grabs 40.3 percent of its missed shots on the offensive glass.
* Michigan State has out-rebounded 25 of 33 teams and tied three. The Spartans are 21-4 when out-rebounding an opponent, but 4-4 when failing to do so.
* Draymond Green leads MSU in rebounding at 8.1 boards per game, recording double-figure rebounds in 11 games. Further demonstrating his versatility, he ranks first on the team in steals (42), second in blocks (27), third in assists (3.0 apg) and field-goal percentage (.534) and fourth in scoring (9.8 ppg).
* Draymond Green has come off the bench in 30 of 33 games, but ranks fourth on the team in minutes played.
* Raymar Morgan is one of just five players in MSU history with 1,500 career points and 700 career rebounds.
* Michigan State is 57-22 in March since 1998-99. For his career, Tom Izzo is 64-29 in March.
* Nine different Spartans are averaging 7.3 minutes or more, including seven at 20.3 minutes or more, led by Kalin Lucas at 31.6 mpg.
* MSU has used 17 different starting lineups this season.
* In 25 wins, MSU is averaging just 13.4 turnovers, compared to 15.3 in losses.
* MSU is 20-1 when holding teams below 41 percent shooting, but 5-7 when an opponent shoots above 41 percent. The Spartans are allowing opponents to shoot .492 in their losses, compared to .377 in victory.
* Michigan State's bench is averaging 24.7 points per game, compared to 16.3 points for opponents.
* Led by Draymond Green with seven double-doubles, at least one Spartan has recored a double-double in 16 games.
* Michigan State has recorded an assist on 62.4 percent of its baskets.
* Raymar Morgan currently ranks fifth in free-throw attempts (557), seventh in games started (116), tied for seventh in free throws made (374), 10th in career rebounding (745 rebounds) and 11th in career scoring (1,556 points).
* Michigan State is 10-6 away from home this season, including 2-2 on a neutral court.
Game 33 Recap - MSU 70 - New Mexico St. 67
* Kalin Lucas scored a career-high 25 points. Lucas hit 7-of-11 shots after hitting 18-of-55 in his previous five games.
* Lucas' 25 points were the most by a Spartan in the NCAA Tournament since Drew Neitzel scored 26 against North Carolina in the second round of the 2007 NCAA Tournament.
* MSU improved to 15-5 in first round games since 1985, including 10-3 under Tom Izzo.
* Raymar Morgan was limited to six minutes and one field goal attempt in the first half due to foul trouble, but recorded 11 points and four rebounds in 19 second-half minutes.
* Michigan State shot 50 percent in the first half, but just 25.9 percent in the second half.
* Michigan State committed just nine turnovers, including just two in the second half.
* Draymond Green recorded the second double-figure rebounding effort of his NCAA Tournament career, having previously grabbed 10 against Louisville in the 2009 Elite Eight.
* Michigan State hit seven three-pointers, the most by the Spartans in a game since hitting seven against Penn State on Feb. 13.