Michigan State Plays Harvard For A Trip To The Sweet 16
March 21, 2014
EAST LANSING, Mich. -
THE OPENING TIP
MSU BASKETBALL NOTES
* Michigan State is making its 28th appearance in the NCAA Tournament with an all-time record of 57-26 (.687).
* MSU is 3-0 in the NCAA Tournament in Spokane, Wash., having previously won two games at the 2010 NCAA Tournament. The Spartans are 4-0 in Spokane under Tom Izzo, having won at Gonzaga (74-67) on Dec. 10, 2011.
* Tom Izzo is 40-15 (.727) all-time in the NCAA Tournament, ranking seventh among active coaches. His 40 wins rank fifth among active coaches. His streak of 17 straight NCAA Tournaments is the second-longest active streak for any coach in the nation and the longest in Big Ten history.
* Under Tom Izzo, the Spartans are a remarkable 18-3 in the second game of an NCAA Tournament weekend. All three losses have come to No. 1 seeds.
* Michigan State has appeared in the Sweet 16 11 times in the last 16 seasons, and in five of the last six years. Only Duke has more appearances in the last 16 years (13). MSU's five trips to the Sweet 16 in the last six years are tied with Kansas for most in the nation.
* Since the NCAA Tournament expanded to 64 teams in 1985, Michigan State has advanced to the round of 32 (new third round) 17 prior times. MSU has a 13-4 record in round of 32 games since 1985, including winning 11 of its last 12 under Tom Izzo.
* The all-time series between Michigan State and Harvard is tied, 2-2, although the two teams have not met since 1949.
* Michigan State and Harvard both played Columbia this season. MSU defeated the Lions Nov. 15 in the Breslin Center (62-53), while the Crimson swept Columbia in Ivy League play. (88-84 2OT and 80-47)
* MSU is 15-4 away from home this season, including 8-1 on a neutral court.
* MSU is holding opponents to .399 shooting from the floor, ranking first in the Big Ten. In postseason play, MSU is holding its four opponents to 64.8 points on .379 shooting.
* With 979 points, Gary Harris needs 21 points to become the 45th player in MSU to score 1,000 career points.
* Michigan State has shot 50 percent or better in each of its last three contests, shooting a combined .534 from the field. Since Branden Dawson has returned to the starting lineup, the Spartans have shot 50 percent or better in four of six games, shooting a combined .509 in those six games.
* MSU has used 15 different starting lineups this season, with 11 different players starting one game. MSU has used the same starting lineup for the last six games, marking the first time the Spartans have started the same lineup for as many as five games all year.
* MSU leads the Big Ten in 3-point field-goal percentage (.395; 284-719). Six Spartans (Gary Harris-75 (2.3), Travis Trice-51 (1.5), Adreian Payne-38 (1.4), Kenny Kaminski-35 (1.3), Keith Appling-34 (1.1), and Denzel Valentine-37 (1.1)) each average at least one made 3-pointer per game. Individually, Kaminski leads the conference in 3-point field-goal percentage (.486), while Trice ranks second (.451), Payne ranks fifth (.442) and Appling ranks 14th (.370).
* The Spartans have made 10 or more 3-pointers in 14 games (after doing it just once last season) ranking second in the Big Ten in 3-point field goals per game (8.1). MSU's 284 made 3-pointers have already established the school single-season record.
* Keith Appling ranks 18th in career scoring (1,503 points), seventh in made free throws (387), tied for fourth in career starts (120), tied for sixth in games played (139), eighth in 3-point field-goal attempts (411), tied for eighth in steals (150), ninth in assists (458) and 10th in free throw attempts (517). He is also just eight made 3-point field goals (138) from moving into the MSU career Top 10 in that category.
* In 18 games this season, the Spartans have posted at least a 10-0 run. MSU has had a run of 8-0 or better in 26 games.
* After missing seven games with a right foot sprain, Adreian Payne has been a force in his return, averaging 17.3 points and 7.0 rebounds in 13 games.
* In the seven games since Branden Dawson has returned from injury, he is averaging 10.7 points and 7.0 rebounds, shooting .611 from the field.
* MSU is 22-3 when Branden Dawson plays, 18-2 when he starts.
* MSU is averaging a Big Ten-best 17.0 assists per game, recording an assist on 62.1 percent of its baskets.
* Through the first 87 games of his career, Adreian Payne shot just 1-of-4 from 3-point range. Over the last 45 games, he is 54-of-127 (.425), averaging more than one made 3-pointer per contest. On 15 occasions, including 12 times this season, he's made more than one in a game.
* MSU is averaging 11.5 turnovers per game, the lowest total of the Tom Izzo era.
* Over the last 13 games, Travis Trice is averaging 9.2 points and 2.9 assists with a 3.2 assist-to-turnover ratio.
* Denzel Valentine is one of just two Spartans to appear in all 35 games, and the only one to appear in every contest averaging more than 10 minutes (28.9 mpg - third on the team). He's led MSU in assists in 14 games and in rebounding 11 times.
* This season, MSU owns a +5.5 rebounding margin, ranking third in the Big Ten, and has out-rebounded 26 of 35 opponents, posting a 21-5 mark when grabbing more rebounds. MSU has out-rebounded its last 13 opponents, posting a +7.5 margin in those 13 contests.
A LOOK AT Adreian Payne'S 41-POINT GAME
SECOND ROUND NOTES - #4 MSU 93 - #13 DELAWARE 78
at the official