MSU Plays Memphis For A Trip To Sweet 16
March 22, 2013
* Michigan State is making its 16th straight NCAA Tournament appearance in 2013, good for the longest current streak among Big Ten schools and third-longest current streak in the nation (Kansas-24, Duke-18).
* Michigan State is 55-25 in 27 trips to the NCAA Tournament.
* MSU is 11-2 all-time at The Palace of Auburn Hills. Under Tom Izzo, MSU is 11-1 at The Palace, including 3-0 in the NCAA Tournament.
* Tom Izzo is 38-14 all-time in the NCAA Tournament. His .731 winning percentage ranks ranks sixth among active coaches, while his 38 career tournament wins rank fifth. His 16-straight NCAA Tournament appearances rank as the second-longest active streak for coaches.
* Since the NCAA Tournament expanded to 64 teams in 1985, Michigan State has advanced to the round of 32 (new third round) 17 times. MSU has a 12-4 record in its previous 16 round of 32 games since 1985, including winning 10 of its last 11.
* Under Tom Izzo, the Spartans are a remarkable 17-3 in the second game of an NCAA Tournament weekend. All three losses have come to No. 1 seeds.
* Michigan State has appeared in the Sweet 16 10 times in the last 15 seasons, and in four of the last five years. Only Duke has more appearances in the last 15 years (12).
* MSU is 0-2 all-time against Memphis. The Tigers won the last meeting, 92-74, in the 2008 Sweet 16.
* The only common opponent for MSU and Memphis this season was Minnesota. Memphis lost to the Gophers in the Battle 4 Atlantis in November, while the Spartans split their two games with Minnesota.
* Keith Appling is shooting .583 (7-of-12) from 3-point range over the last two games. In the previous eight games, Appling was just 5-of-36 (.139).
* Through his first three years, Derrick Nix had one career double-double, one career double-figure rebounding game and 16 career double-figure scoring games. This year alone he has four double-doubles, six double-figure rebounding games, and 14 double-figure scoring games.
* In the last nine games, Adreian Paye is averaging 13.1 points and 9.4 rebounds, including grabbing 14 boards at Nebraska and a career-high 15 at Ohio State, while recording four double-doubles.
* Michigan State is 72-29 (.713) in March since the 1998-99 season. For his career, Tom Izzo is 79-36 (.687) in March. Over the last four-plus years (2009-present), MSU is 26-9 (.743) in what Coach Izzo calls his favorite month of the year.
* With 61 made three-pointers Gary Harris ranks second all-time among MSU freshmen, trailing only Chris Hill (66), while his 148 3-point attempts are tied with Hill for first. He also ranks among the top five in the MSU freshman record book in 3-point field-goal percentage (fifth, .412) and steals (second, 44).
* Michigan State presents a balanced scoring attack with all five Spartan starters averaging 9.3 points or better. Keith Appling, Branden Dawson, Gary Harris, Derrick Nix and Adreian Payne have each scored 20 points in at least one game this season.
* With 1,100 career points, Keith Appling is 10 points away from passing Al Ferrari (1,109 points) for 36th place on the MSU career scoring list and 47 away from passing Pete Gent (1,146 points) for 35th place.
* Over the last 21 games, the Spartans are shooting .363 (111-of-306). The high percentage can be directly attributed to prolific shooting from Adreian Payne (.455; 15-of-33) and Gary Harris (.455; 46-of-101) in the last 21 games.
* On the season, MSU is 14-1 when committing the same number or fewer turnovers than its opponent.
* Derrick Nix has totaled 41 assists in the last 17 games.
* The Spartans have a .667 (8-4) winning percentage when trailing at halftime.
* MSU has out-rebounded 30 of 34 opponents this season. In the Tom Izzo era, MSU has out-rebounded 475 of 615 opponents (.772), posting a 376-99 (.792) mark in those games.
* Michigan State has out-scored its opponents in the paint by an average of +9.1 points (33.8-24.7), out-scoring 28 of its 34 opponents. On the season, the Spartans have scored 49.6 percent of their points in the paint (1150 of 2317).
* Keith Appling leads the Spartans in scoring (13.6 ppg) and assists (3.5 apg), having led MSU in scoring in 15 games, and scoring 20 or more points four times, all coming in Spartan wins.
Second Round Notes MSU 65-Valparaiso 54
at the official