Skandalaris Football Center Dedication
The Spartans now occupy one of the nation's finest college football facilities.
Aug. 21, 2008
EAST LANSING, Mich. - Michigan State University officially dedicated the Skandalaris Football Center, a 25,000-square-foot addition to the Duffy Daugherty Football Building, on Thursday, Aug. 21. The $15.5 million expansion and renovation project took 14 months to complete.
The addition was made possible through the generous donation of MSU alumni Robert and Julie Skandalaris of Bloomfield Hills, Mich., who donated $5 million as the lead gift for this $12.5 million phase of the project. The structure features new team, staff and position meeting rooms, coaches' offices and The Demmer Family Hall of History.
The latest technology is featured throughout the facility. All meeting and staff rooms are equipped with Crestron touch-panel displays that provide full control of all audio/visual equipment as well as telestration of any video source. This allows the coaches to switch between and control the team's XOS computer, DVD player, VHS player, document camera and video channels distributed from the video office. Instead of utilizing projectors, flat-panel displays have been installed, permitting student-athletes and coaches to study video with the room lights on, so they can refer to playbooks and scouting reports during the video session.
The Skandalaris Football Center also houses one of the largest computer servers on campus, allowing the coaches to access on the intranet: footage from every practice, MSU game video from the past five seasons, current opponents' game video as well as video of nearly 1,000 recruits.
The facility also is designed for efficiency, as the full team meeting area can be converted into (offense and defense) unit meeting rooms in a matter of seconds. In addition, the position meeting rooms are located in close proximity to the full team meeting room.
The Demmer Family Hall of History provides a public display for MSU's rich football tradition, highlighting the many accomplishments of its outstanding former players, coaches and teams. The display area is named in honor of John E. Demmer, William and Linda Demmer, Ed and Laura Demmer, all of Lansing, and Brad and Peg Demmer, from San Antonio, Texas, whose family gift is among the most significant made to the football facility project.
Located on the first floor, The Demmer Family Hall of History features four bay displays - each measuring nearly 13x12 feet - depicting: Great Teams, Great Players, Great Moments and a Great Future. This area includes four display cases for MSU's national award winners: Ed Bagdon (Outland Trophy), Brad Van Pelt (Maxwell Award), Percy Snow (Butkus and Lombardi Awards) and Charles Rogers (Biletnikoff Award). Hanging above the national award-winner display cases are banners, honoring MSU's four retired jerseys: No. 78 Don Coleman, No. 90 George Webster, No. 46 former MSU President John Hannah and No. 95 Charles "Bubba" Smith.
The Demmer Family Hall of History recognizes MSU's six National Championship teams (1951, 1952, 1955, 1957, 1965 and 1966) with plaques, featuring a team photo and game-by-game results for each season.
Near the main entrance to the facility are two exhibits that pay tribute to Hugh Duffy Daugherty, who compiled a 109-69-5 record in 19 seasons as Michigan State's head coach (1954-72) and led the Spartans to four National Championships (1955, 1957, 1965 and 1966). Daugherty guided Michigan State to a combined record of 19-1-1 in 1965-66 as the Spartans won back-to-back Big Ten Conference and National Championships. The Duffy Daugherty Memorial Award, presented for outstanding contributions to both college and Michigan high school football, is showcased and previous recipients are recognized as well.
The University's history is depicted on a wallpaper display, measuring 33x7 feet, including a message from President Lou Anna K. Simon to all prospective student-athletes that tour the facility.
Plaques, recognizing MSU's 76 first-team All-Americans, are displayed in the first-floor hallway between the team's locker room and team meeting room. Also in that hallway, a 14x9-foot wallpaper display honors current Spartans in the NFL, including: Plaxico Burress, pictured making the game-winning catch against New England in Super Bowl XLII and hoisting the Lombardi Trophy, Julian Peterson, Flozell Adams, Muhsin Muhammad and Derrick Mason. A 4x9-foot display salutes MSU's NFL Legends: Herb Adderley, Joe DeLamielleure, Bubba Smith, Brad Van Pelt, Earl Morrall, Carl Banks, Billy Joe DuPree and Morten Andersen. MSU's all-time pro roster is listed team-by-team, below half-mini helmets, on the wall outside the team meeting room.
A 12x8-foot display depicts MSU's coaching history, featuring head shots of all 24 head coaches in program history along with biographical sketches of Clarence "Biggie" Munn, Hugh Duffy Daugherty, Darryl Rogers and George Perles - all of whom won Big Ten Championships.
Former Spartan head coach George Perles and his wife Sally contributed $500,000 for the construction of a $1 million plaza outside the Duffy Daugherty Football Building.
Barton Malow served as the construction manager for the Skandalaris Football Center, with Integrated Design Solutions (Troy, Mich.) providing architectural services and ZE Design (Centerville, Ohio) creating all graphics and displays.