October 31, 1998
EAST LANSING, Mich. - Michigan States 1995 28-25 victory over No. 7 Michigan ranks as the most memorable game played in the 75-year history of Spartan Stadium, according to a fan poll conducted on Spartans Online (www.msuspartans.com), MSUs official athletics department web site. The poll results were released Saturday as Spartan Stadium reached another milestone by playing host to its 400th game against Northwestern.
Nearly 200 fans participated in the internet poll. Forty-seven games received votes with the 95 Michigan game picking up 54 first-place votes, followed by the 74 Ohio State (44), 87 Indiana (40) and 66 Notre Dame (35) games.
Tony Banks capped an 11-play, 88-yard drive with a 25-yard touchdown toss to Nigea Carter with 1:24 left to give Michigan State its 28-25 win over Michigan on Nov. 4, 1995.
I wish I had some more memorable moments in the NFL that could compete, but that game still remains the most memorable moment of my football career, Banks said.
During the game-winning drive, Tony kept telling us in the huddle to execute -- no mistakes, Carter said. All the receivers wanted to do was catch the ball and get out of bounds. The play I scored on was designed to get us down close to the goal line. Tony got flushed out of the pocket and Michigans cornerback Clarence Thompson hesitated because he thought Tony was going to take off running the ball. Tony underthrew the ball but I was able to catch it because Thompson had no time to react to the ball.
Coming to Michigan State from Florida, I didn't fully understand or appreciate the rivalry with Michigan. But after that game, I understood and the importance of the rivalry finally sunk in. It was a great thrill to catch the game-winning pass.
10 Most Memorable Games Played in Spartan Stadium - According to Online Poll
1. Nov. 11, 1995 -- Michigan State 28, No. 7 Michigan 25 Tony Banks throws 25-yard TD pass to Nigea Carter for game-winner with 1:24 left.
2. Nov. 9, 1974 -- Michigan State 16, No. 1 Ohio State 13 Levi Jackson races 88 yards for the game-winning TD late in the fourth quarter.
3. Nov. 14, 1987 -- Michigan State 27, Indiana 3 Lorenzo White gains 292 yards and scores twice as Spartans clinch Big Ten title.
4. Nov. 29, 1997 -- Michigan State 49, No. 4 Penn State 14 Sedrick Irvin and Marc Renaud combine for 441 yards and four rushing TDs.
5. Nov. 19, 1966 -- No. 2 Michigan State 10, No. 1 Notre Dame 10 Regis Cavender scores MSUs only TD in the second quarter and the defense holds Notre Dame to 91 yards rushing and 219 total yards overall.
Sept. 12, 1998 -- Michigan State 45, No. 10 Notre Dame 23 Spartans jump out to 42-3 halftime lead in the stadiums second-ever night game.
7. Oct. 10, 1987 -- Michigan State 17, No. 12 Michigan 11 Lorenzo White picks up 185 yards rushing and scores twice while John Miller intercepts four passes.
8. Sept. 7, 1987 -- No. 25 Michigan State 27, No. 16 Southern Cal 13 Lorenzo White rushes for 111 yards and two scores in the first night game in stadium history.
Oct. 10, 1998 -- Michigan State 38, Indiana 31 (2 OT) Sedrick Irvin's 25-yard TD run and Lemar Marshalls pass break-up give the Spartans a come-from-behind win.
10. Oct. 26, 1968 -- Michigan State 21, No. 5 Notre Dame 17 Thomas Love rushes for 100 yards and two TDs, including a game-winning 1-yard run in the third quarter.