Jan. 17, 1998
Spartans Battle Ferris State
- No. 1 or 2 Spartan Hockey vs. Ferris State
- Date: Jan. 17
- Site: Ewigleben Ice Arena
Storyline: Michigan State meets Ferris State meet for the second time this season.
Last Night Michigan State put together an offensive show of force in front of freshman goaltender Joe Blackburn, cruising to a 6-1 win over Alaska Fairbanks.The Records
MSU: 19-3-3 (11-3-2 CCHA) FSU: 8-11-3 (7-7-3 CCHA) The Coaches MSU: Ron Mason Overall: 794-346-61 (32) MSU: 505-236-47 (19) FSU: Bob Daniels Overall: 79-115-18 (6) FSU: same
On the air Tonight's game and all Spartan games can be heard on WVFN-AM 730, with Scott Moore calling the play-by-play. Volunteer assistant coach Willie Mitchell provides analysis. That broadcast is also available by calling TEAMLINE at (800) 846-4700 (code #5300).
Michigan State games are also available free of charge on the Internet at http://drew.audionet.com/acsn/hockey WWW Check out www. msuspartans.com for information, features and history on Spartan Hockey, including the 1997-98 media guide.Note of the Night
Power surge - Michigan State is 13-for-33 (39.4%) on the power-play since the start of the Great Lakes Invitational. Since junior center Mike York,s return from the World Junior Championship, the Spartans are 8-for-16 (50%). Last night, the Spartans scored three power-play goals in their first 1:34 of power-play time.Five More Notes No Media Person Should Be Without
1. Amazing Alban - Senior goaltender Chad Alban returns to the starting goaltending duties after a rare night off last night.
* ranks among the NCAA leaders in winning percentage (2nd, .842), goals-against average (2nd, 1.68) and save percentage (6th, .918)
* called by Ron Mason the greatest puck-handling and decision-making goaltender he has ever coached or ever will coach, he touches the puck over 30 times a game (not including saves)
* leads the CCHA in overall GAA and save percentage
* third in all-time wins at MSU (74) and just nine shy of the record held by Jason Muzzatti
* ranks among MSU career leaders in GAA (1st, 2.63), shutouts (1st, 8), save percentage (5th, .892), games played (3rd, 114), saves (7th, 2,350)
* has a .947 save percentage and a 0.95 GAA in the first period this season
* has a black cat named Puck
2. So what if he didn't have five goals - Senior center Sean Berens had scored 1, 2, 3 and 4 goals in the four previous games before last night. He had a goal and an assist to extend his point-scoring streak to five games, and he has had more than one point in each one of those contests (11-3-14 totals).
3. Six pack - Michigan State has scored six goals in three of its last four games after scoring six goals just once in the first 21 games.
4. Like Cy Young - Michigan State seeks its 20th victory tonight. The Spartan program has won at least 20 games in 15 of the last 16 seasons.
5. Center of attention - The Spartans - the only team in the nation with two returning all-league centers in Sean Berens and Mike York -- have relied heavily on Berens and York for offense. Both players scored last night, the sixth time in the last 10 games in which they have both played that both have scored goals.Did You Know?
Live Mike - Junior center Mike York has scored the first goal of the game in all three contests since his return from the World Junior Championship in Finland. York has scored MSU,s first goal eight times this season (in 21 games)
Two few The Spartans have allowed two goals or fewer 21 times in 25 games, including the last four.
NCAA leaders - Where the Spartans rank among the NCAA stat leaders (as of 1/11).
Note that NCAA stats do not recognize games in the Ice Breaker Invitational or vs. Canadian teams.
Category Team/Individual Rank Figure Scoring Defense Michigan State 1st 1.76 goals/game Scoring Margin Michigan State 5th 1.71 goals/game Winning Percentage Michigan State 1st .810 Penalty-Killing Percentage Michigan State 4th .893 Power-Play Percentage Michigan State 16th .200 Goals Sean Berens T-5th 1.00/game Assists Bryan Adams 9th 1.08/game Power-Play Goals Sean Berens T-6th 7 Goals-Against Average Chad Alban 2nd 1.68 Save Percentage Chad Alban 6th .918 Goalie Winning Percentage Chad Alban 2nd .842
Follow the leader - Senior defenseman and three-year captain Tyler Harlton plays close to 30 minutes a game and in every vital defensive situation. He leads the CCHA in plus/minus at +19. Harlton had an assist last night, as MSU improved to 23-2 all-time when he has a point.
Shooting stars - Michigan State is outshooting opponents by an average of 31.4-20.6. The Spartans have not allowed 30 shots on goal in a game yet this season while MSU has fired at least 30 shots on goal 14 times.
New York - Junior center Mike York has seven power-play goals in 16 games since moving close to the net in the power-play formation. He had no power-play goals in his previous 60 games.
New York II - One of York's goals last weekend, which he batted out of midair Friday night, was featured on ESPN SportsCenter,s ,Plays of the Week.0/00
Ferris killer - Junior defenseman Jeff Kozakowski has scored nine of his 44 career points (20.4%) even though he has played just 9.6% of his career games against Ferris. Kozakowski has a three-game point-scoring streak.Head start - Michigan State has outscored opponents in the first period 28-8 and has scored first in 18 of its 25 games.
Great name, great game - Freshman right wing Rustyn Dolyny carries a four-game point-scoring streak into tonight (2-6-8) and stands tied for third on the team in scoring (9-12-21). MSU is 8-0-0 when he scores a goal.
The fries at the bottom of the bag -MSU alum Mike Watt recently became the 38th player to play for Ron Mason at Michigan State to reach the NHL ... The Spartans are 8-0-1 when they have more penalties than their opponent ... MSU has been scored on in the first minute of the game twice this year and won both games ... MSU is 11-1-0 on the road.HOLDOVER NOTES
(If you've been with us all season, you've probably seen these notes...if not, we hope they help)
All-non-conference - Michigan State finished the non-conference portion of its regular-season schedule at 8-0-1. It marks the first time the Spartans were undefeated outside of the league since 1984-85 (6-0-0).
500 and counting - Michigan State head coach Ron Mason won his 500th game at Michigan State Dec. 6 against Bowling Green, becoming just the fifth coach to win 500 games at one school.
Counting to 800 - Head coach Ron Mason should soon become the first college hockey coach to record 800 victories. He currently has 794 in his career.Say This About Our Players . . .
2 * Jon Gaskins (Sr., LW)
* a defenseman for his first 85 career games, he is playing forward this year for the first time since youth hockey * had a recent four-game point-scoring streak3 * Brody Brandstatter (R-Fr., D)
* the ninth East Lansing native to play for MSU
4 * Chris Bogas (Jr., D)
* has led the team in plus/minus rating each of his two seasons and is +49 for his career* has the GWG in both games he has scored in this year
5 * Mike Weaver (So., D)
* leading all MSU defensemen with 4-11-15, more than doubling last year,s point total * broke the glass behind the west goal with a slapshot at Thursday,s practice6 * Tyler Harlton (Sr., D)
* in his third year as a team captain
* last season,s CCHA Best Defensive Defenseman and an all-league choice
* earned numerous academic distinctions for his 3.75 GPA in Political Theory and Consitutional Democracy* had a perfect 4.0 GPA this fall
* leading the team with +19 rating and has had only two games with minus ratings
* MSU is 23-2 all-time when he scores a point
* has matched up against two All-America candidates this year (Chris Drury, Bill Muckalt - 10/25) and not allowed either a point while he was on the ice7 * Brad Hodgins (Fr., D)
* had a career-best three assists vs. NMU
9 * Sean Patchell (Fr., W)
* second among MSU freshmen with 6-6-12
10 * Shawn Horcoff (So., C)
* came back from an ankle sprain to score MSU,s third goal last night
* has scored 10 of his 19 career goals in the third period
* 11 of his career goals are PPGs
12 * Kevin O,Keefe (Sr., RW)
* the right wing on MSU's ,Illinois Line
* a high school classmate of Sean Berens
14 * Damon Whitten (Fr., LW)
* has not had a minus rating in a game all year
16 * Bryan Adams (Jr., LW)
* was tied for team lead in scoring (5-16-21) when he suffered a fractured right clavicle against Minnesota Nov. 30 * expected to return next Saturday18 * Sean Berens (Sr., C)
* has 11-3-14 totals in the last five games, including a hat trick and a four-goal game
* the last MSU skater to net consecutive three-goal games was Kip Miller in 1989-90
* leading the team in scoring with 20-10-30
* third in the nation with eight PPGs
19 * Rustyn Dolyny (Fr., RW)
* leading MSU freshmen in scoring and tied for third on the team (9-12-21)
* averaging 2.0 ppg in the last four games
* named to the GLI all-tournament team after totaling 1-3-4 in two games
22 * Andrew Bogle (Fr., C)
* scored his first career goal to seal the GLI title game victory
* the youngest player in the CCHA and third-youngest in Division I (18; 12/22/79)
23 * Mike Ford (Jr., W)
* scored against Minnesota, his first goal since Feb. 3, 1996 (53 games without a goal)
27 * Jeff Kozakowski (Jr., D)
* has an assist in each of the last three games
29 * Chad Alban (Sr., G)
* owns best-ever career GAA at MSU (2.63)
* third in career wins (74) at MSU
* among the nation,s leaders in GAA (2nd), save percentage (6th) and winning pct. (2nd)
* terrific stickhandler who plays the puck over 30 times a game (not counting saves)
* College Hockey Showcase Most Valuable Player
30 * Joe Blackburn (Fr., G)
* has a 1.41 GAA and a .929 save percentage
61 * Mike York (Jr., C)
* was the first sophomore to lead MSU in scoring since Craig Simpson (1984-85)
* was just the 11th American to play in three World Junior Championships
* averaging 1.19 pts. per game in his career
* also an outstanding defensive forward and penalty killer
* has scored MSU,s first goal 19 times in his career (18 times the last two years)
* nine of his 15 goals have come in the first period
SERIES INFORMATION VS. FERRIS STATE:
* MSU leads, 41-21-10
* In Big Rapids: MSU leads, 16-9-5
* Last meeting: MSU 6, FSU 1 (10/28/97 in Grand Rapids)
* First meeting: FSU 6, MSU 3 (12/7/79 in East Lansing)
* Last year,s series: MSU won, 2-0-1
* MSU is 10-1-2 in the last 13 and has not lost a regular-season game to Ferris since 2/25/94
* The 10 ties in the series are the most for MSU vs. any opponent
MSU CAREER LEADERS vs. FERRIS STATE
Player (Yr., Pos.) GP, G-A-P Mike York (Jr., C) 10 GP, 5-13-18 Sean Berens (Sr., C) 12 GP, 8-6-14 Jeff Kozakowski (Jr., D) 10 GP, 4-5-9 Bryan Adams (Jr., LW) 10 GP, 2-4-6 Kevin O,Keefe (Sr., RW) 9 GP, 4-1-5 Tyler Harlton (Sr., D) 13 GP, 1-4-5 Chris Bogas (Jr., D) 10 GP, 0-5-5 Goalie (Yr.) GP, GA, Sv% Chad Alban (Sr., G) 11 GP, 26 GA, .885