Add to Calendar
Skip to main content Skip to footer

Spartans Tie UM, Win Shootout

Lee Reimer had a goal and an assist

Dec. 10, 2011

Final Stats |  Notes |  Photo Gallery 

Listen to Spartan Sports Podcasts:
Head Coach Tom Anastos | Captain Torey Krug, Lee Reimer, and Drew Palmisano | Michigan Head Coach Red Berenson

East Lansing, Mich. - Senior netminder Drew Palmisano made eight saves in overtime and stopped all three Michigan attempts in the shootout as he backstopped Michigan State to a 3-3 tie and shootout victory over the archrival Wolverines on Saturday evening at Munn Ice Arena. Lee Reimer had the game-tying goal on the power play with 3:53 to play in regulation, and finished with a goal and an assist, while linemate Greg Wolfe had a pair of helpers.

Chris Brown gave Michigan a 1-0 lead 6:35 into the game. Alex Guptill got Brown the puck at the top of the left circle, and Brown drove the net. Palmisano made the initial save on Brown's shot, but the puck trickled loose and fell into the slot at the right side, and an opportunistic Brown pounced on it and put it into the back of the net.

The Spartans tied the game at 13:07. Lee Reimer had the puck at the half-wall, and sent it off the dasher to Krug at the point. Krug's blast from the left point deflected off a player's stick en route, and changed direction to beat Hunwick over his left shoulder.

MSU took its first lead of the weekend on a nice play by Anthony Hayes that was finished off by Chris Forfar. Hayes carried the puck below the goal line, and pushed it out to Forfar at the right post. The junior finished the play for his second goal of the season. That would be the extent of the scoring in the opening period, as MSU took the 2-1 lead into the dressing room.

The Wolverines tied the game midway through the second period. Minutes after Michigan missed a grade-A opportunity, Luke Moffatt picked up the puck in the right circle, skated into the low slot, and backhanded the puck over the blocker hand of Palmisano.

UM's go-ahead goal came with 6:27 remaining in the third period. The Wolverines streaked into the offensive zone, and Alex Guptill took a big shot from the high slot, which was saved by Palmisano. David Wohlberg was there to jump on the rebound, giving the Wolverines the lead.

The Spartans continued to press, generating chances, and got a little boost from a power play chance with just under five minutes remaining in the game. The Spartans moved the puck well, and Reimer took a shot that caromed off a defender in front. Reimer collected the bouncing puck at the left hash marks, and rocketed a beautiful snipe that beat Hunwick over his glove-hand shoulder. It would be the final scoring of the game.

As the contest moved on into overtime, the Wolverines had eight shots in the extra period, but several of the shots were seen all the way by Palmisano and smothered rather routinely. At the other end, the Spartans had some chances, but did not force Hunwick to make any saves.

With the game in the books as a 3-3 deadlock, the teams lined up their shooters for the shootout. Brett Perlini went first for the Spartans, but Matt Berry put the Spartans up with a nice backhand deke. Meanwhile, Palmisano stoned both Wohlberg and Chris Brown, setting up the dramatic third shooters for each team. Wolfe could have finished it off for MSU, but the puck slipped off his stick at the left post, and went wide. The pressure moved onto the back of Wolverine AJ Treais and Palmisano - and Palmisano came up with the big save to earn the Spartans the extra point in the standings thanks to the shootout victory.

The Spartans will now have a 16-day hiatus, re-convening in East Lansing on Dec. 26 to begin preparation for the Great Lakes Invitational on Dec. 29-30. MSU will take on Michigan Tech in the semifinals on Dec. 29.



Partners & Sponsors