Feb. 14, 1998
Note of the Night
Rebounders - Michigan State has avenged its last seven losses, dating back to last year, with a victory the next time it faced that team.
Five More Notes No Media Person Should Be Without
1. A special team - Michigan State has scored at least one power-play goal in 10 of its last 12 games and has a 33.9 percent success rate in that time (19-for-56). Meanwhile, the Spartans have not allowed a power-play goal in their last nine games (29 consecutive short-handed situations).
2. More on the PP - Senior center Sean Berens leads the NCAA with 11 power-play goals, while junior center Mike York is fourth with nine. The pair has combined for 20 of MSU's 35 power-play goals. Michigan State's top power-play unit of Berens, York, Rustyn Dolyny, Brad Hodgins and Jeff Kozakowski has accounted for each of MSU's last 18 power-play goals.
3. Summit meeting - Tonight's game between the CCHA's second-place Spartans and the third-place Ohio State Buckeyes has been called the most meaningful meeting between the two programs since the 1984 CCHA semifinals.
4. Tale of two seasons - Through the GLI, Michigan State was 6-2-2 at home and 10-0-0 on the road. Since the GLI, the Spartans are 5-0-2 at home and 2-2-1 away from Munn Ice Arena. Four of MSU's next five games are at home, with the lone away contest being a neutral-site game with Michigan at Joe Louis Arena.
5. Lovers, not fighters - Michigan State is 4-10 all-time on Valentine's Day.
All About Alban
Hobey Baker candidate - Michigan State senior goaltender Chad Alban is having one of the best seasons ever by a college goaltender. His 1.58 GAA leads the NCAA. Some other Alban tidbits:
- Alban has six shutouts this year, including two in his last four games
- Alban has a better winning percentage, GAA and save percentage than Robb Stauber had in 1987-88, when he because the only goaltender ever to win the Hobey Baker Award
- leads the CCHA in GAA and save percentage in league and overall games
- Alban holds records for MSU career shutouts (12), CCHA career shutouts (10) and MSU season shutouts (6)
- ranks among MSU career leaders in GAA (1st, 2.55), shutouts (1st, 12) and save pct. (5th, .894)
- handles the puck over 30 times per game and makes outstanding decisions with it when he does
- Quote board: