No. 1 Men's Hockey Hosts Ferris State
March 13, 1998
Note of the Night
Six Pack of Notes No Media Person Should Be Without
2. Best of both worlds - Michigan State was the leading goal-scoring team in the CCHA, with 110 goals in league play, and the top defensive team, allowing only 54 goals. Michigan (109 and 69, respectively), finished second in both categories.
3. Simply the best - Michigan State,s goals-against per league game of 1.80 made it the best defensive team in CCHA history Ron Mason,s 1978-79 BGSU team (2.25) held the previous record.
4. A special team - Michigan State leads the CCHA in both power play and penalty killing, while standing fourth in the nation in power play and first in penalty killing. The power play is clicking at 24.8% in league play and 23.0% overall. Meanwhile, MSU has killed off 90.1% of its opponents, power plays, even better than last year,s school record of 87.3%.
5. Simply the best - Senior goaltender and Hobey Baker candidate Chad Alban finished with a 1.63 goals-against average in CCHA league games, the best GAA in league history. His .922 league save percentage is the third-best in CCHA history. Alban also finished in the top 10 in eight career CCHA categories: 10 shutouts (1st), 2.42 GAA (4th), 61 wins (4th), nine ties (5th), .900 save percentage (6th), 5,209:06 minutes (7th), .744 winning percentage (8th) and 90 games (9th).
6. Powerful - Michigan State has three players with 10 or more power-play goals (Sean Berens 13, Mike York 11, Rustyn Dolyny 10). No other team in the nation has more than one player with double digits in power-play goals.
All About Alban
Silencing the big guns - The top two scorers in CCHA league play, Ohio State,s Hugo Boisvert and Michigan,s Bill Muckalt, combined to score one goal and one assist in six league games against Michigan State. They averaged 1.63 points per league game against the rest of the CCHA.
Y ask y? - Freshman RW Rustyn Dolyny led all CCHA rookies in scoring and was seventh overall with 34 points in league play. One of two unanimous CCHA All-Rookie Team choices, Dolyny,s 39 points overall are the most by a Spartan freshman since Steve Suk (52 points) and Rem Murray (51) were rookies in 1991-92. His 18 goals are the most since Anson Carter had 19 as a freshman.
Builder of leads - Senior goaltender Chad Alban has a .947 save percentage in the first period, helping MSU outscore opponents 46-16 in the opening stanza and score first in 28 of its 38 games (MSU is 24-1-2 when scoring first).
Protector of leads - In his three years as MSU,s primary starting goaltender, Alban has a 55-0-3 record when leading after two periods, including 21-0-2 this year.
Better rebounders than Dennis Rodman - MSU is 3-0-1 following a loss this season and 12-3-1 after a loss in the last two years. They are 5-0 in that time after a loss by more than two goals.
FOXy team - MSU is 7-0-1 in games broadcast by FOX Sports Net and/or FOX Sports Detroit.
Two for 50 - Centers Mike York (51 points) and Sean Berens (50) leads the Spartans in scoring. The Spartans last had a 50-point scorer in 1994-95, when Rem Murray (56), Anson Carter (51) and Steve Guolla (51) all surpassed the half-century mark.
Two for 25 - Centers Sean Berens (32 goals) and Mike York (24) are on the verge of becoming the first Spartan teammates to both score 25 goals since Dwayne Norris (44), Bryan Smolinski (30) and Peter White (26) all had over 25 in 1991-92.
More on the centers of attention - York and Berens have combined for 40.0% of Michigan State,s goals and 28.1% of the team,s points.
NCAA leaders - Where the Spartans rank among the NCAA stat leaders (as of 3/9). Note that NCAA stats do not recognize games in the Ice Breaker Invitational or vs. Canadian teams.
Category Team/Individual Rank Figure Scoring Offense Michigan State 12th 3.67 goals/game Scoring Defense Michigan State 1st 1.72 goals/game Scoring Margin Michigan State 3rd 1.94 goals/game Winning Percentage Michigan State 3rd .806 Penalty-Killing Percentage Michigan State 1st .908 Power-Play Percentage Michigan State 4th .244 Points Per Game Sean Berens T-19th 1.44/game Goals Per Game Sean Berens 2nd 0.94/game Mike York 18th 0.69/game Power-Play Goals Sean Berens 2nd 13 Mike York T-4th 11 Rustyn Dolyny T-7th 10 Game-Winning Goals Sean Berens T-3rd 6 Goals-Against Average Chad Alban 1st 1.56 Save Percentage Chad Alban 1st .925 Goalie Winning Percentage Chad Alban 4th .844
INJURY REPORT - Jon Gaskins (Sr., LW, OUT, right knee sprain, out for the season).
The fries at the bottom of the bag - MSU alum Tony Tuzzolino recently became the 39th player to play for Ron Mason at Michigan State to reach the NHL ... The Spartans are 11-0-1 when they have more penalties than their opponent ... MSU is 13-2-1 on the road ... sixteen former Spartans have appeared in the NHL this season, the most of any college ... Rod Brind-Amour (Canada) recently became the ninth Spartan to play in the Olympics ... MSU is shooting for its eighth 30-win season and first since 1989-90.
2 - Jon Gaskins (Sr., LW)
3 - Brody Brandstatter (R-Fr., D)
4 - Chris Bogas (Jr., D)
5 - Mike Weaver (So., D)
6 - Tyler Harlton (Sr., D)
7 - Brad Hodgins (Fr., D)
9 - Sean Patchell (Fr., W)
10 - Shawn Horcoff (So., C)
12 - Kevin O-Keefe (Sr., RW)
14 - Damon Whitten (Fr., LW)
16 - Bryan Adams (Jr., LW)
18 - Sean Berens (Sr., C)
19 - Rustyn Dolyny (Fr., RW)
21 - John Nail (Fr., RW)
22 - Andrew Bogle (Fr., C)
27 - Jeff Kozakowski (Jr., D)
29 - Chad Alban (Sr., G)
30 - Joe Blackburn (Fr., G)
61 - Mike York (Jr., C)
SPARTAN CAREER STATS Player GP G-A-P Pen/Min Sean Berens 158 80-73-153 56/142 Mike York 111 54-83-137 43/98 Jeff Kozakowski 118 9-44-53 42/98 Bryan Adams 97 19-33-52 31/92 Shawn Horcoff 69 22-24-46 29/66 Chris Bogas 118 12-34-46 84/182 Kevin O,Keefe 75 16-25-41 14/28 at Ill.-Chicago 68 18-12-30 15/30 Rustyn Dolyny 39 18-21-39 14/28 Tyler Harlton 156 5-31-36 114/243 Brad Hodgins 77 4-28-32 50/138 Mike Weaver 78 4-25-29 50/108 Mark Loeding 102 14-6-20 51/129 Jon Gaskins 119 3-17-20 21/42 Sean Patchell 36 6-9-15 21/53 Damon Whitten 38 4-8-12 20/51 Chad Alban 128 1-9-10 13/37 Curtis Gemmel 62 6-3-9 9/18 Mike Ford 98 5-4-9 8/16 Andrew Bogle 38 3-6-9 10/20 John Nail 38 3-2-5 6/12 Matt Kruzich 16 1-0-1 5/10 B. Brandstatter 25 0-1-1 2/4 Mike Jalaba 17 0-0-0 2/4 Joe Blackburn 4 0-0-0 0/0 Mike Gresl 4 0-0-0 0/0 Dan Zaluski 3 0-0-0 0/0 Goalie GP W-L-T GAA Svs. Sv. % Alban 127 84-29-10 2.50 2,611 .896 Blackburn 5 2-2-0 2.23 72 .889 Gresl 4 0-1-0 5.07 32 .821 1997-98 MULTI-POINT GAMES (75) Mike York (14; MR: 2/21 vs. Mich.) Sean Berens (13; MR: 2/28 vs. Ferris) Rustyn Dolyny (11; MR: 2/20 vs. Mich.) Kevin O,Keefe (8; MR: 2/28 vs. Ferris) Bryan Adams (6; MR: 11/15 vs. Mank.) Shawn Horcoff (5; MR: 1/31 vs. MIA) Mike Weaver (3; MR: 2/27 vs. LSSU) Andrew Bogle (3; MR: 1/24 vs. LSSU) Jeff Kozakowski (3; MR: 2/14 vs. OSU) 3 players with 2 each: Harlton, Whitten, Bogas 3 players with 1 each: Alban, Hodgins, Nail 1997-98 MULTI-GOAL GAMES (22) Sean Berens (7; MR: 2/20 vs. Mich.) Mike York (5; MR: 2/21 vs. Mich.) Kevin O,Keefe (3; MR: 2/28 vs. Ferris) Rustyn Dolyny (3; MR: 2/14 vs. OSU) Shawn Horcoff (2; MR: 1/31 vs. MIA) 2 players with 1 each: Weaver, Bogas
SERIES INFORMATION VS. FERRIS STATE:
at the official