Add to Calendar
Skip to main content Skip to footer

Spartans Fall in Overtime to Georgetown

Jeremy Clark

Sept. 9, 2011

Video Highlights | Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

East Lansing, Mich. - Michigan State and Georgetown took 108 minutes to settle their Friday game, but a goal by Ian Christianson on a restart was the golden goal as the Hoyas took a 2-1 decision on Friday at DeMartin Stadium. MSU loses its second overtime game of the season and falls to 1-3-0 overall, while Georgetown improved to 3-1-0.

In the 26th minute, Georgetown got on the board with a goal by Tyler Rudy. Off a corner play, Josh Barens was able to clear the ball from the goal line with a header, but the ball sailed about 20 yards out in front of the net. Rudy was there to redirect a laser netward, and he was credited with his first goal of the season.

The Spartans got the equalizer in the 37th minute to take a 1-1 tie into the intermission. Senior Cyrus Saydee took the restart for MSU, and redshirt freshman Ryan Keener headed it into the left side of the net for his first career goal.

In the 66th minute, keeper Jeremy Clark came up with a huge save on an Austin Martz shot - a rising shot that Clark punched over the left upper 90 - to keep the game tied at one.

In the 69th minute, Rubin Bega was fouled as he tried to corral a great pass from Garret Back in the box, putting him on the line for a penalty kick. Bega's offering was low to the goalie Tomas Gomez's right, and Gomez's diving stop kept the ball from the back of the net.

Both teams pressed for a big goal in the waning moments, but the game went to overtime. The Spartans were pressing late in the first OT period, and Adam Montague fed Brent Rosendall a nice ball in the box about 12 yards away from the goal line. Rosendall was fouled, putting him on the line - but his shot sailed high, and the teams pressed on past the 100th minute of play.

Clark came up with his second critical save of the game in the 112th minute. Ben Slingerland's bid to end the game by redirecting a corner kick was stopped by the outstretched hand of Clark on the goal line, and the senior goalie came up with another save on a Nick Van Hollen shot as the Spartans tried to clear the box.

A foul with 2:19 remaining on the clock in the second overtime set up Christianson's golden goal on a restart.

Clark made six saves in an outstanding effort for MSU. Gomez made four stops for the Hoyas.

Much like in the game against No. 5 Connecticut a week ago, the statistics were remarkably even. Both teams had 10 shots, but Georgetown had the advantage in shots on goal, 8-5. Georgetown had five corners to MSU's three, and the Spartans had 27 fouls compared to 18 for the Hoyas. Georgetown had five yellow cards compared to three for MSU.

The Spartans are back in action on Sunday, when MSU hosts Marshall. Gametime at DeMartin Stadium is 2:30 p.m.



Partners & Sponsors