Jan. 20, 2013
EAST LANSING, Mich. - The No. 52 Michigan State Spartans earned an impressive 6-1 victory over No. 37 Vanderbilt today at the Currey Tennis Center, in Nashville Tenn. MSU showed determination and resilience after a tough loss on Friday to No. 33 Memphis, and moved to 3-1 on the season.
The Spartans began the match strong by earning the doubles point with victories in the No. 1 and 3 positions. Juniors Drew Lied and Aaron Pfister earned an 8-5 victory in the No. 1 slot over Ryan Lipman and Marc van der Merwe, while senior Denis Bogatov and freshman JP Mullane took down Rhys Johnson and Anton Kovrigin, 8-3 in the No. 3 position. In the No. 2 spot, sophomores Gijs Linders and Harry Jadun fell in a tightly contested match against Gonzales Austin and Suresh Eswaran, 8-7.
MSU built off their success in doubles play, taking five of six matches in singles action. Vanderbilt earned their lone victory in the No. 2 position, where Lied fell to No. 17 Ryan Lipman 6-2, 6-3. Mullane earned the first Spartan victory, taking down Rhys Johnson 6-3, 7-6 in the No. 4 position.
Bogatov picked up the second win in singles at the No. 5 position, to put the Spartans up 3-1. In the No. 1 position, Pfister defeated No. 20 Gonzales Austin in a tight match 4-6, 6-3, 7-6.
The final two victories came at the No. 3 and 6 positions, where Linders and senior Will Davis topped Marc van der Merwe and Anton Kovrigin, respectively. Both Linders and Davis fell in the second set, but were able to rebound in the third to seal the victories.
The Spartans will once again hit the road next weekend, as they travel to Lexington, Ky., for the ITA Kickoff on Jan. 25 and 26. MSU is scheduled to face ninth-ranked Kentucky on Friday at 1 p.m., and either No. 23 Texas or No. 39 South Carolina on Saturday at 1 p.m.
1. Aaron Pfister (MSU) def. No. 20 Gonzales Austin (Vanderbilt) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(5)
2. No. 17 Ryan Lipman (Vanderbilt) def. Drew Lied (MSU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Gijs Linders (MSU) def. Marc van der Merwe (Vanderbilt) 7-5, 4-6, 6-4
4. John Patrick Mullane (MSU) def. Rhys Johnson (Vanderbilt) 6-3, 7-6(4)
5. Denis Bogatov (MSU) def. No. 114 Kris Yee (Vanderbilt) 7-6(2), 6-3
6. Will Davis (MSU) def. Anton Kovrigin (Vanderbilt) 6-3, 1-6, 10-3
1. Lied/Pfister (MSU) def. Lipman/van der Merwe (Vanderbilt) 8-5
2. Austin/Eswaran (Vanderbilt) def. Linders/Jadun (MSU) 8-7(4)
3. Bogatov/Mullane (MSU) def. Johnson/Kovrigin (Vanderbilt) 8-3