Mtennis Post 1-1 Record in Sunday's Play
The Spartans fell to Kentucky 5-2 earlier in the day but bounced back to sweep IUPUI, 7-0.
Jan. 22, 2012
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. - The Michigan State men's tennis team traveled to Indianapolis for their first road matches of the season, taking on No. 7 Kentucky and IUPUI in back-to-back duals on Sunday. In the opening round of play MSU fell in a hard-fought effort to the Wildcats, 6-1. But later that evening they quickly bounced back to sweep the Jaguars 7-0.
In the first dual, Kentucky picked up all three doubles matches, although MSU pushed till the end of each set. On Court 1, Austin Brooks and Aaron Pfister fell to Jha and Quigly, 8-5. In the next matchup, Denis Bogatov and Harry Jadun took on Gomez and Hirooka in court 3, coming up just short with an 8-6 loss. Closing out the doubles play, Drew Lied and Mat Nelson took on Jomby and Rossi on court 2. The duo pushed the Wildcats point for point but fell just shy in an 8-7 loss, giving UK the doubles point.
In singles action, the Spartans only picked up one victory against UK on the day. On court 5, Gijs Linders defeated Panay Jha in an easy 6-2, 6-1 win. On court 3, Brooks faced off against Jomby. The Spartan dropped the first 6-3, battled back in the second to pick it up 7-6, and fought throughout the third, only to come up just short with a 7-5 score.
Full results from the Kentucky Matchup are listed below.
#7 Kentucky 6, #53 Michigan State 1
1. Panay Jha/Eric Quigley (UK) def. Austin Brooks/Aaron Pfister (MSU) 8-5
2. Tom Jomby/Anthony Rossi (UK) def. Drew Lied/Mat Nelson (MSU) 8-7
3. Alejandro Gomez/Ryuji Hirooka (UK) def. Denis Bogatov/Harry Jadun (MSU) 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Eric Quigley (UK) def. Denis Bogatov (MSU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Anthony Rossi (UK) def. Ronnie Hulewicz (MSU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Tom Jomby (UK) def. Austin Brooks (MSU) 6-3, 6-7, 7-5
4. Alejandro Gomez (UK) def. Drew Lied (MSU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Gijs Linders (MSU) def. Panay Jha (UK) 6-2, 6-1
6. Grant Roberts (UK) def. Will Davis (MSU) 7-6, 6-1
Order of finish: 1,5,6,4,2,3
In the evening matchup, MSU had a quick turnaround taking on IUPUI within mere hours of their last match with Kentucky. But it didn't seem to faze the team as they came out to sweep the doubles lineups right away.
Davis and Hulewicz picked up the first doubles win on court 2 defeating Joel Modesitt and Nick Volz with an easy 8-4 win. Next up, Jadun and Nelson secured the doubles point for the Spartans when they topped Armaan Choudhary and Deon Shafter with another 8-4 victory. In the final matchup, in the doubles one spot, Lied and Linders teamed up to come away with an 8-6 win over Thomas Gans and Patrick O'Neill.
The Spartans then entered singles play, where they again, swept the Jaguars. Pfister, who had been rehabbing from a previous injury earlier this year, played in his first singles match of the 2012 season in the number two spot. He didn't show any signs of nagging injury and easily posted a two-set 6-4, 6-1 victory over ivan Mojsejev.
Mat Nelson followed up his doubles victory with a singles one as well, defeating Armaan Choudhary 7-5, 6-4. After posting an easy singles victory in the number two spot earlier this weekend on Friday night, Hulewicz moved up to court 1 for this match and proved to have no problems in the top spot whatsoever. He went on to a smooth-sailing 6-0, 6-4 win against Volz.
Play continued on court 3 where Linders showed a little difficulty with Chase Emerson in the first set, sending it to a tiebreaker, which Linders won 7-6 (7-0). Linders then went on to pick up the next set pretty handedly with a 6-2 score to give him the win.
On court 6, Jadun coupled his doubles win with a singles victory over Shafer, 7-5, 7-5. Davis rounded out the Spartan's victories on court 4 to give the team its seventh point as he went on to beat Modesitt 7-6, (9-7), 6-2.
The Spartans continue play on Sunday, Jan. 29 when they head to Knoxville, Tenn. to take on the University of Tennessee at 2 p.m. MSU will then turn around the following day and take on Oklahoma/Mississippi at the same venue in Knoxville.
Full results from the IUPUI Matchup are listed below.
#53 Michigan State 7, IUPUI 0
1. Drew Lied/Gijs Linders (MSU) def. Thomas Gans/Patrick O'Neill(IUPUI) 8-6
2. Will Davis/Ronnie Hulewicz (MSU) def. Joel Modesitt/Nick Volz (IUPUI) 8-4
3. Harry Jadun/Mat Nelson (MSU) def. Armaan Choudhary/Deon Shafer (IUPUI) 8-4
Order of finish: 2,3,1
1. Ronnie Hulewicz (MSU) def. Nick Volz (IUPUI) 6-0, 6-4
2. Aaron Pfister (MSU) def. Ivan Mojsejev (IUPUI) 6-4, 6-1
3. Gijs Linders (MSU) def. Chase Emerson (IUPUI) 7-6 (7-0), 6-2
4. Will Davis (MSU) def. Joel Modesitt (IUPUI) 7-6 (9-7), 6-2
5. Mat Nelson (MSU) def. Armaan Choudhary (IUPUI) 7-5, 6-4
6. Harry Jadun (MSU) def. Deon Shafer (IUPUI) 7-5, 7-5
Order of finish: 2,5,1,3,6,4