Men's Tennis Topped by No. 6 Tennessee
Spartans will play in consolation match of ITA Kick-Off Weekend.
Jan. 25, 2014
KNOXVILLE, TENN. - The Michigan State men's tennis team lost its second consecutive match to a ranked opponent Saturday, losing on the road to No. 6 Tennessee 4-2 at the Goodfriend Tennis Center. No. 49 MSU (2-2) will face the loser of No. 30 Virginia Commonwealth and No. 34 North Carolina State Sunday at 10 a.m. in the consolation match of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend.
The ITA Kick-Off Weekend serves as a qualifying event to the National Team Indoor Championships Feb. 14-17 in Houston, Texas. Fifteen sites across the country are hosting a four-team tournament this weekend with the winner of each site advancing.
The lone point for the Spartans came on the singles court from sophomore John Patrick Mullane. On the third court, Mullane defeated Brandon Fickey 6-1, 6-3, and earned his first dual match singles win of the season.
#6 Tennessee 4, Michigan State 1
1. #34 Mikelis Libietis (UT) def. Aaron Pfister (MSU) 6-4, 6-1
2. #16 Hunter Reese (UT) def. Drew Lied (MSU) 6-3, 5-5 (7-5)
3. John Patrick Mullane (MSU) def. Brandon Fickey (UT) 6-1, 6-3
4. Jarryd Chaplin (UT) vs. Gijs Linders (MSU) 1-6, 6-0, 5-4, unfinished
5. Andrew Dromsky (UT) vs. Brett Forman (MSU) 6-2, 3-6, 5-1, unfinished
6. Markus Kerner (UT) def. Mac Roy (MSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. #1 Mikelis Libietis/Hunter Reese (UT) def. Gijs Linders/Harry Jadun (MSU) 6-3
2. #28 Jarryd Chaplin/Brandon Fickey (UT) vs. John Patrick Mullane/Drew Lied (MSU) 3-5, unfinished
3. Andrew Dromsky/Markus Kerner (UT) def. Brett Forman/Aaron Pfister (MSU) 6-4