Jan. 29, 2012
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - The Michigan State men's tennis team traveled to Knoxville on Sunday to take on No. 24 Tennessee as the start of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend. Despite a hard-fought effort on the singles side, the Spartans were unable to pick up the win, falling to the Volunteers 4-2.
MSU began the day in doubles play, falling short in all three matches. Fickey and Jones defeated Drew Lied and Mat Nelson on court two with an 8-2 finish. Tennessee then picked up another win as Libietis and Reese defeated Austin Brooks and Aaron Pfister 8-4. The Volunteers completed the sweep on court three as Nagovnak and Chaplin defeated Harry Jadun and Denis Bogatov in a hard fought 7-4 match.
In singles play the Spartans started off with a win on court five as Drew Lied beat Jones by a decisive 6-2, 6-2 score. But Tennessee came back with a win in the next set on court one when Libietis held off Denis Bogatov 6-2, 6-3. MSU then dropped another set on court two before Aaron Pfister was able to defeat Reese 6-3, 6-3 in the number three spot.
The Spartans were unable to hang on losing on court four as Austin Brooks fell to Chaplin 6-4, 6-3. Gijs Linders had a lead on Patrick in the number six spot 7-6 (4-7) 1-4 before the match was called causing the Spartans to lose 4-2.
MSU will look to bounce back tomorrow as it closes out action at the ITA Kick-Off Weekend and faces Oklahoma at 1 p.m. in the Goodfriend Tennis Center in Knoxville.
1. Mikelis Libietis/Hunter Reese (UT) def. Austin Brooks/Aaron Pfister (MSU) 8-4
2. Brandon Fickey/Edward Jones (UT) def. Drew Lied/Mat Nelson (MSU) 8-2
3. Peter Nagovnak/Jarryd Chaplin (UT) def. Harry Jadun/Denis Bogatov (MSU) 7-4
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Mikelis Libietis (UT) def. Denis Bogatov (MSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Brandon Fickey (UT) def. Ronnie Hulewicz (MSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Aaron Pfister (MSU) def. Hunter Reese (UT) 6-3, 6-3
4. Jarryd Chaplin (UT) def. Austin Brooks (MSU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Drew Lied (MSU) def. Edward Jones (UT) 6-2, 6-2
6. Gijs Linders (MSU) vs. Taylor Patrick (UT) 7-6 (7-4), 4-1, unfinished
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6