Jan. 30, 2012
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - The Michigan State men's tennis team looked to bounce back on the second day of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend following a loss to Tennessee Sunday afternoon. The Spartans faced off against the No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners on Monday suffering a 4-0 defeat before the match was called.
MSU was unable to pick up the doubles point as Austin Brooks and Aaron Pfister fell to Paval and Webb on court one 8-3. Drew Lied and Mat Nelson came up short on court two as well losing to Siributwong and Mihov by a score of 8-3. The match on court three was unfinished being called with the score being tied at 5-5 as Oklahoma had already secured the doubles point.
In singles play the Spartans started off with a loss on court 1 as Denis Bogatov dropped his match against No. 4 Paval 6-1, 6-1. The Sooners picked up wins on court six with Webb defeating Gijs Linders in a hard fought 6-0, 7-5 battle; and four with Brooks falling to Mihov 6-4, 6-2.
Action was still in play on courts 2, 3, and 5 before the match was called and the Spartans fell to the Sooners 4-0.
MSU returns home for a doubleheader on Feb. 4 starting at 10 am against Detroit before taking on Toledo at 6 pm at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility.
1. Costin Paval/Dane Webb (OK) def. Austin Brooks/Aaron Pfister (MSU) 8-3
2. Peerakit Siributwong/Tsvetan Mihov (OK) def. Drew Lied/Mat Nelson (MSU) 8-3
3. Harry Jadun/Denis Bogatov (MSU) vs. David Pultr/Guillermo Alcorta (OK) 5-5, unfinished
1. Costin Paval (OK) def. Denis Bogatov (MSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Ronnie Hulewicz (MSU) vs. Guillermo Alcorta (OK) 3-6, 2-2, unfinished
3. Aaron Pfister (MSU) vs. Peerakit Siributwong (OK) 4-6, 5-3, unfinished
4. Tsvetan Mihov (OK) def. Austin Brooks (MSU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Drew Lied (MSU) vs. David Pultr (OK) 1-6, 5-5, unfinished
6. Dane Webb (OK) def. Gijs Linders (MSU) 6-0, 7-5