Feb. 1, 2014
EAST LANSING, Mich. - The Michigan State men's tennis team erased its three-match losing streak and started a two-match winning streak after sweeping its doubleheader of matches Saturday afternoon at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility. MSU swept Ball State, 7-0, and took apart Eastern Illinois, 7-0. The No. 48 Spartans improved to 4-3 on the season.
"I could tell after we had the team breakfast and through warm ups, our guys were really sharp," head coach Gene Orlando said. "The matches that we had in the previous week certainly helped us get better. We got off to good starts today and I felt confident in the way we were able to put away two good teams."
In the first match of the day, MSU was able to defeat Ball State for the eighth consecutive year. Orlando upped his record to 14-8 when coaching against his mentor and former coach Bill Richards.
MSU got off to a quick start in doubles play and didn't look back the rest of the match. Sophomore John Patrick Mullane and senior Drew Lied held down the top doubles court by defeating Ray Leonard and Patrick Elliott 8-6. Lied also won on the top singles court over Leonard, 6-1, 6-4. On the third court, Mullane rallied from being three games down in the first set to win the first set 7-5, and then take the second set 6-3 over Lucas Andersen. Junior Gijs Linders won his first set over Austin Smith 7-5, and then had to rally from three games down in the second set to win in a tiebreaker 7-6(2).
In the second half of the doubleheader, MSU was able to keep up its superb play and demolished Eastern Illinois 7-0. The Spartans took care of business in the alleys and won the doubles point. In singles, Lied had a shut out of his own to record on the top court as he defeated Moritz Kandt, 6-0, 6-0. Senior Aaron Pfister cruised to a win on the second court, winning 6-2, 6-1, over Ryan Henderson. Freshman Brett Forman continued his solid play this season and defeated Robert Skolik 6-0, 6-1. Forman is currently riding a five-match winning streak in dual play.
MSU continues its non-conference schedule Feb. 9 as it travels to Lexington, Ky., to take on No. 13 Kentucky.
MSU 7, Ball State 0
1) Drew Lied/John Patrick Mullane (MSU) def. Ray Leonard/Patrick Elliott (BSU) 8-6
2) Gijs Linders/Harry Jadun (MSU) def. Austin Smith/Lucas Andersen (BSU) 8-6
3) Brett Forman/Aaron Pfister (MSU) def. Andrew Stutz/Patrick Downs (BSU) 8-2
1) Drew Lied (MSU) def. Ray Leonard (BSU) 6-1, 6-4
2) Aaron Pfister (MSU) def. Patrick Elliott 6-1, 6-1
3) John Patrick Mullane (MSU) def. Lucas Andersen (BSU) 7-5, 6-3
4) Gijs Linders (MSU) def. Austin Smith (BSU) 7-5, 7-6 (2)
5) Brett Forman (MSU) def. Andrew Stutz (BSU) 6-1, 6-2
6) Harry Jadun (MSU) def. Patrick Downs (BSU) 6-2, 6-4
MSU 7, EIU 0
1) Drew Lied/John Patrick Mullane (MSU) def. Robert Skolik/Kevin Bauman (EIU) 8-5
2) Aaron Pfister/Brett Forman (MSU) def. Ryan Henderson/Rui Silva (EIU) 8-2
3) Doug Zade/Will Davis (MSU) def. Grant Thompson/David Constantinescu 8-1
1) Drew Lied (MSU) def. Moritz Kandt (EIU) 6-0, 6-0
2) Aaron Pfister (MSU) def. Ryan Henderson (EIU) 6-2, 6-1
3) Gijs Linders (MSU) def. Rui Silva (EIU) 6-3, 6-3
4) Brett Forman (MSU) def. Robert Skolik (EIU) 6-0, 6-1
5) Will Davis (MSU) def. Kevin Bauman (EIU) 6-4, 6-4
6) Mac Roy (MSU) def. Grant Thompson (EIU) 6-4, 6-2