Men's Tennis Edged Out by Michigan, 4-3
Spartans lose first Big Ten match of season.
Feb. 28, 2014
ANN ARBOR, Mich. - The Michigan State men's tennis team lost a tight match on the road to rival Michigan, 4-3, Friday night inside the Varsity Tennis Center in Ann Arbor, Mich. The Spartans drop to 5-6 on the season and 0-1 in Big Ten play after losing to the 26th-ranked Wolverines.
MSU lost to Michigan by a 4-3 final for the second consecutive season. For the second time this season, the Spartans lost to a ranked opponent by just a single point.
The Spartans dropped two of the three doubles matches, losing the doubles point for the fifth time this season. MSU is 0-5 when losing the initial point.
MSU came out strong to start out singles play. Senior Aaron Pfister picked up a win on court two to even up the overall match score at one apiece. Pfister defeated No. 113 Alex Petrone in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3. The win over Petrone marks Pfister's second singles win this season over a ranked player.
MSU lost matches on courts five and six, with junior Gijs Linders and freshman Mac Roy both dropping close matches in straight sets. Sophomore John Patrick Mullane came out firing on court three, winning the first set 6-1 over Shaun Bernstein. Mullane went on to claim the match in straight sets by taking the second set, 7-5.
With Michigan leading 3-2 at this point, the match would be decided on courts one and four, with both courts going to a third set. Senior Drew Lied took care of Vlad Stefan on court one, winning 6-2, 5-7, 6-2. Freshman Brett Forman came up just short in a competitive battle on court three against Alex Buzzi. After losing the first set 6-3, Forman battled back to claim the second set 7-5. In a back and forth third set, Forman was broken at three all and was defeated 6-4. The loss was just Forman's first of the spring dual season.
The Spartans will have a week off before they travel to Boston, Mass., on March 8 to take on No. 30 Harvard.
1) Drew Lied (MSU) def. Vlad Stefan (UM) 6-2, 5-7, 6-2
2) Aaron Pfister (MSU) def. #113 Alex Petrone (UM) 6-4, 6-3
3) John Patrick Mullane (MSU) def. Shaun Bernstein (UM) 6-1, 7-5
4) Alex Buzzi (UM) def. Brett Forman (MSU) 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
5) Justin Rossi (UM) def. Gijs Linders (MSU) 6-2, 7-6(0)
6) Barrett Franks (UM) def. Mac Roy (MSU) 6-4, 6-4
1) Drew Lied/John Patrick Mullane (MSU) vs. #17 Barrett Franks/Alex Buzzi (UM) 7-7, unfinished
2) #58 Kevin Wong/Shaun Bernstein (UM) def. Gijs Linders/Harry Jadun (MSU) 8-5
3) Michael Zhu/Alex Petrone (UM) def. Brett Forman/Aaron Pfister (MSU) 8-6