April 4, 2014
URBANA, Ill. - The Michigan State men's tennis team dropped its first of two conference matches this weekend on Friday, losing 6-1 to Illinois. The Spartans' (8-11, 2-4 Big Ten) were able to claim just one singles match against No. 11 Illinois inside the Atkins Tennis Center in Urbana, Ill.
The loss snapped MSU's two-match winning streak.
After losing the doubles point for the 10th time this season, MSU was able to come away with just one singles win. Junior Gijs Linders picked up the lone point for the Spartans. Linders won in three sets on court four against Ross Guignon, 6-7, 6-4, 1-0(8). With the win, Linders grabbed his 10th win of the spring dual season and also evened up his Big Ten record at 3-3.
Previously unbeaten in conference play sophomore John Patrick Mullane gave the No. 9 ranked player in the nation, Jared Hiltzik, all he could handle on the second court, but Mullane ended up falling short in a third-set tiebreaker, 6-4, 5-7, 1-0(6).
The Spartans were again without senior co-captain and two-time All-Big Ten player Aaron Pfister, a starter in both the doubles and singles lineups, who went down with an injury in practice last week and was unavailable today.
The Spartans stay in the state of Illinois this weekend as they square off with No. 37 Northwestern in Evanston on Sunday at 1 p.m. ET.
1) #3 Kopinski/Guignon (Ill) def. Lied/Mullane (MSU) 8-3
2) Gosea/Hiltzik (Ill) vs. Jadun/Linders (MSU) 7-6, unfinished
3) Bazarnik/Jesse (Ill) def. Zade/Davis (MSU) 8-4
1) #23 Gosea (Ill) def. Lied (MSU) 6-3, 6-0
2) #9 Hiltzik (Ill) def. Mullane (MSU) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0(6)
3) #42 Kopinski (Ill) def. Forman (MSU) 7-5, 6-3
4) Linders (MSU) def. Guignon (Ill) 6-7, 6-4, 1-0(8)
5) Bazarnik (Ill) def. Jadun (MSU) 6-4, 6-4
6) Childers (Ill) def. Davis (MSU) 7-6, 6-0