April 7, 2012
EAST LANSING, Mich. - The Michigan State men's tennis team (14-9, 3-4) was on the road this weekend facing off against No. 48 ranked Northwestern Wildcats. The Spartans were looking to continue their three game Big Ten winning streak when they faced off against a tough Northwestern team, who was on a four game winning streak of their own. The Wildcats came away with a 6-1 victory ending the Spartan's winning streak.
In doubles play Northwestern swept Michigan State, picking up wins on all three courts. On court three Balaji and Reitz defeated Denis Bogatov and Doug Zade 8-5. On court one Drew Lied and Aaron Pfister fell in a close 8-6 match to Wolf and Graves. The match on court two was close as well but the Spartans fell 9-7 as Harry Jadun and Austin Brooks lost to Pasareanu and Smith.
The Wildcats continued their strong play in singles with Wolf defeating Denis Bogatov on court two 6-3, 6-1. On court six Gijs Linders was able to bring his second set into a tie-breaker but lost to Jackman 6-0, 7-6 (5). Northwestern then wrapped up the match with their fourth point coming on court five when Pasareanu came up with a 7-5, 6-2 victory over Austin Brooks.
On court four Drew Lied brought his opponent into a third set tie-breaker but lost 7-5, 6-2, 1-0 (6). Ronnie Hulewicz was then able to pick up the only point for the Spartans for the day when he defeated Smith 7-6 (2), 6-4 on court three. The final set of the match then went to Northwestern when Graves beat Aaron Pfister in a close three set match that also went to tie-breaker, but Pfister lost 3-6, 7-6 (6), 1-0 (9).
The Spartans are back in action again today as they take on the Fighting Illini at 1:00 p.m. at the Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex, in Champaign, Ill.
1. Spencer Wolf/Josh Graves (NU) def. #57 Drew Lied/Aaron Pfister (MSU) 8-6
2. Alex Pasareanu/Raleigh Smith (NU) def. Harry Jadun/Austin Brooks (MSU) 9-7
3. Sidarth Balaji/Tobias Reitz (NU) def. Denis Bogatov/Doug Zade (MSU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Josh Graves (NU) def. Aaron Pfister (MSU) 3-6, 7-6 (6), 1-0 (9)
2. #109 Spencer Wolf (NU) def. Denis Bogatov (MSU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Ronnie Hulewicz (MSU) def. Raleigh Smith (NU) 7-6 (2), 6-4
4. Sidarth Balaji (NU) def. Drew Lied (MSU) 7-5, 2-6, 1-0 (6)
5. Alex Pasareanu (NU) def. Austin Brooks (MSU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Chris Jackman (NU) def. Gijs Linders (MSU) 6-0, 7-6 (5)
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 5, 4, 3, 1