MTennis Suffers Loss to Ill.
The Spartans dropped back-to-back matches this weekend
April 7, 2012
EAST LANSING, Mich. - The Michigan State men's tennis team (14-10, 3-5) was back in action today against No. 18 ranked Illinois. The Spartans traveled to Champaign, Ill. after a match against Northwestern yesterday in which they fell 6-1. MSU was unable to pick up the win, once again suffering a 6-1 defeat against one of the Big Ten's best teams.
In doubles play the Spartans were able to keep things close by winning one of the three matches. On court one Nevolo and Kalmanovich defeated Aaron Pfister and Drew Lied 8-5. Michigan State came back with a win on court two to tie things up when Harry Jadun and Austin Brooks beat Guignon and Kopinski 8-2. The doubles point came down to the final match on court three which Illinois was able to win 8-4 with a win for Hoh and Gosea over Doug Zade and Gijs Linders.
The Fighting Illini won the first five singles points as well to win the match. On court one Nevolo beat Aaron Pfister 6-0, 6-1. On court five Illinois won their second singles point when Kopinski defeated Austin Brooks 6-2, 6-2. Next on court two Ronnie Hulewicz fell to Kalmanovich 6-1, 6-4.
Illinois continued their win streak on court four with a win for Hoh over Drew Lied 6-2, 6-1. The final point of the day for the Illini went to Abdelnour on court three as he beat Denis Bogatov 6-3, 6-4. The Spartans were able to come away with one point in the final match of the day on court six as Gijs Linders defeated Gosea 7-6, 6-2.
The Spartans return home next weekend for their final two home matches of the season. They first take on Iowa on Saturday, April 14 at noon, then face off against Nebraska on Sunday, April 15 also scheduled to begin at noon.
1. Denis Nevolo/Roy Kalmanovich (Ill.) def. Aaron Pfister/Drew Lied (MSU) 8-5
2. Harry Jadun/Austin Brooks (MSU) def. Ross Guignon/Tim Kopinski (Ill.) 8-2
3. Stephen Hoh/Farris Gosea (Ill.) def. Doug Zade/Gijs Linders (MSU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Dennis Nevolo (Ill.) def. Aaron Pfister (MSU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Roy Kalmanovich (Ill.) def. Ronnie Hulewicz 6-1, 6-4
3. Bruno Abdelnour (Ill.) def. Denis Bogatov (MSU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Stephen Hoh (Ill.) def. Drew Lied (MSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Tim Kopinski (Ill.) def. Austin Brooks (MSU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Gijs Linders (MSU) def. Farris Gosea (Ill.) 7-6, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 2, 4, 3, 6