April 11, 2014
MADISON, Wis. - Snapping its two-match losing streak, the Michigan State men's tennis team beat No. 74 Wisconsin, 4-3, Friday evening at the Nielsen Tennis Center in Madison, Wis. The Spartans (9-12, 3-5 Big Ten) defeated their third ranked opponent of the season, and their first ranked opponent on the road.
MSU opened up the match strong, winning all three doubles matches. Friday was the 10th time MSU has won the doubles point this season, with a record of 9-1 when doing so. Senior Aaron Pfister and freshman Brett Forman claimed the first match, blowing by Michael Sinha and Elliott Sprecher on court three, 8-1. Senior Drew Lied and sophomore John Patrick Mullane clinched the doubles point with their 8-5 win on court one over Petr Satral and Alexander Kokorev. Juniors Harry Jadun and Gijs Linders made it a clean sweep as they won their match on court two in a tightly-contested tiebreaker, 8-7(9), over Johnnie Jalalov and John Zordani.
In singles, the Spartans were able to claim three first sets, and went on to win three of the six matches. Forman picked up his team-high 12th win of the season with a 6-1, 6-2 dismantling of Elliott Sprecher on court four. Jadun put MSU up 3-0 with his win on court six. Jadun defeated Frederik Strabo 6-3, 6-2. Pfister clinched the match for the Spartans with his win on court three. Pfister collected his 10th win of the season and improved his conference record to 3-1 with his 7-6(6), 7-5 victory on court three.
The senior co-captain Pfister made his return to the doubles and singles lineup this evening after missing the last four matches due to injury. Friday also marked Pfister's 22nd birthday.
The Spartans return to action Sunday afternoon when they travel to Minneapolis, Minn., to face No. 55 Minnesota at 1 p.m. ET.
1. Drew Lied/John Patrick Mullane (MSU) def. Petr Satral/Alexander Kokorev (UW) 8-5
2. Harry Jadun/Gijs Linders (MSU) def. Johnnie Jalalov/John Zordani (UW) 8-7 (9)
3. Aaron Pfister/Brett Forman (MSU) def. Michael Sinha/Elliott Sprecher (UW) 8-1
1. Petr Satral (UW) def. Drew Lied (MSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Alexander Kokorev (UW) def. John Patrick Mullane (MSU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
3. Aaron Pfister (MSU) def. Jakhongir Jalalov (UW) 7-6 (6), 7-5
4. Brett Forman (MSU) def. Elliott Sprecher (UW) 6-1, 6-2
5. Michael Sinha (UW) def. Gijs Landers (MSU) 6-2, 7-6 (2)
6. Harry Jadun (MSU) def. Frederik Strabo (UW) 6-3, 6-2