April 26, 2012
EAST LANSING, Mich. - The Michigan State men's tennis team (18-10, 7-5) began its quest for a Big Ten Championship Thursday in its first-round matchup against No. 10 seed Purdue. The Boilermakers were looking for revenge from a loss earlier this season in East Lansing but the Spartans were able to come away with a win. After being down 3-0, the Spartans rallied to win the next four points and take the match by a score of 4-3.
Purdue won the doubles point, taking two of the three matches. Krocsko and Tatarczyk defeated Harry Jadun and Austin Brooks on court two, 8-6. The Boilermakers then won on court one as Dujovne and Acosta defeated Drew Lied and Aaron Pfister 8-4 to gain the point. The match on court three was unfinished when Purdue won the point, however Denis Bogatov and Gijs Linders were up 7-4 over Poziomski and Kovacs.
Going into singles play Purdue won two straight matches to take a commanding 3-0 lead. Dujovne defeated Austin Brooks on court five by a score of 6-0, 6-1. The Boilermakers next win came on court two as Acosta picked up a win over Denis Bogatov 6-4, 6-2. On court six Gijs Linders was finally able to get things going for the Spartans as he picked up a 6-2, 6-1 win over Hawkins.
From there, MSU rallied for the final three points to take the match. Drew Lied defeated Krocsko 6-4, 6-3 on court four. Aaron Pfister got the next win in a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Kovacs. The match came down to the winner of court three. Ronnie Hulewicz was able to get the win and the victory for the Spartans as he defeated Tatarczyk 6-1, 6-3.
Michigan State will continue in tournament play Friday at 2:30 p.m. as it faces off against No. 2 seed Michigan.
1. Aaron Pfister (MSU) def. Mark Kovacs (PUR) 7-5, 6-4
2. Diego Acosta (PUR) def. Denis Bogatov (MSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Ronnie Hulewicz (MSU) def. Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR) 6-1, 6-3
4. Drew Lied (MSU) def. Krisztian Krocsko (PUR) 6-4, 6-3
5. Aaron Dujovne (PUR) def. Austin Brooks (MSU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Gijs Linders (MSU) def. Evan Hawkins (PUR) 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 6, 4, 1, 3
1. Aaron Dujovne/Diego Acosta (PUR) def. Drew Lied/Aaron Pfister (MSU) 8-4
2. Krisztian Krocsko/Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR) def. Harry Jadun/Austin Brooks (MSU) 8-6
3. Denis Bogatov/Gijs Linders (MSU) vs. Pawel Poziomski/Mark Kovacs (PUR) 7-4, unfinished
Order of Finish: 2, 1