Men's Tennis Falls to Michigan
The Spartans fell to Michigan in the second round of the Big Ten tournament today
April 27, 2012
EAST LANSING, Mich. - The Michigan State men's tennis team (18-11, 7-6) finished their conference play today as they fell to Michigan in the second round of the Big Ten tournament. The No. 7 seed Spartans put up a tough match against the No. 2 seed Wolverines but fell short. The Wolverines took the doubles point then three of the four singles matches while the other two were unfinished once Michigan won the match.
In doubles play Michigan won the first match on court one as King and Bernstein defeated Aaron Pfister and Drew Lied by a score of 8-3. Their next win came on court three as Denis Bogatov and Gijs Linders fell to Petrone and Zhu 8-4. The final match on court two was unfinished since the point was already won but Franks and Buzzi had a 6-3 lead over Austin Brooks and Harry Jadun.
Michigan continued winning into singles play taking the first two points. On court six Buzzi defeated Gijs Linders to end his nine match win streak by a score of 6-4, 6-2. The Wolverines next win then came on court five as Franks picked up Michigan's third point with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Austin Brooks. Ronnie Hulewicz then won the only point of the day for the Spartans when he came up with a 6-3, 6-2 over Bernstein on court three.
The Wolverines then wrapped up the match as Petrone defeated Denis Bogatov on court two 7-6, 6-3. The final two matches on courts one and four were unfinished with the match already won. On court won Aaron Pfister was battling tough with King with a 5-7, 7-6 score when the match was called. Drew Lied had brought his match into three sets on court four against Zhu and finished with a 6-4, 0-6, 2-3 score.
Michigan State will wait and see if they are selected for the NCAA tournament with the first rounds taking place May 11-12.
1. Evan King (UM) vs. Aaron Pfister (MSU) 7-5, 6-7
2. Alex Petrone (UM) def. Denis Bogatov (MSU) 7-6, 6-3
3. Ronnie Hulewicz (MSU) def. Shaun Bernstein (UM) 6-3, 6-2
4. Michael Zhu (UM) vs. Drew Lied (MSU) 4-6, 6-0, 3-2
5. Barrett Franks (UM) def. Austin Brooks (MSU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Alex Buzzi (UM) def. Gijs Linders (MSU) 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 3, 2
1. Evan King/Shaun Bernstein (UM) def. Aaron Pfister/Drew Lied (MSU) 8-3
2. Barrett Franks/Alex Buzzi (UM) vs. Austin Brooks/Harry Jadun (MSU) 6-3
3. Alex Petrone/Michael Zhu (UM) def. Denis Bogatov/Gijs Linders (MSU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3