Men's Tennis Loses to Illini
Spartans continue to struggle in Big 10.
April 26, 1998
EAST LANSING, Mich.- - The Michigan State men's tennis team continues to struggle in Big Ten competition as it fell to the defending Big Ten Champion University of Illinois 6-1.
The loss is the Green and White's second of the weekend and their fourth consecutive Big Ten defeat. Michigan State falls to 12-11 overall and 3-7 in the Big Ten. The highlight for the Spartans came in the No. 6 contest when junior Mark Jacobson beat Matt Snyder of Illinois 4-6, 6-4, 6-4.
Michigan State captain Trey Eubanks seems to epitomize the Spartan's latest struggle. The junior standout has also dropped his last four Big Ten matches. He was defeated Sunday by Gavin Sontag 6-3, 6-0.
When Eubanks wins in the Big Ten, the Spartans are 3-0 but when he loses MSU is 0-7. The next action for Michigan State will come Thursday-Sunday, April 30-May 3 in Champaign, Ill for the Big Ten Championships.
1. Gavin Sontag (ILL) d. Trey Eubanks (MSU), 6-3, 6-0
2. Oliver Freelove (ILL) d. Ivica Primorac (MSU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Cary Franklin (ILL) d. Chris Struck (MSU), 4-6, 6-1, 7-6
4. Jeff Laski (ILL) d. Ken Kigongo (MSU), 6-2, 6-4
5. Jakub Teply (ILL) d. Francisco Trinidad (MSU), 6-4, 6-1
6. Mark Jacobson (MSU) d. Matt Snyder (ILL), 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
1. Freelove/Franklin (ILL) d. Struck/Eubanks (MSU), 8-4
2. Sontag/Blain (ILL) d. Primorac/Trinidad (MSU), 8-6
3. Laski/Snyder (ILL) d. Kigongo/Findling (MSU), 8-4