March 20, 2009
EAST LANSING, Mich. - The Michigan State men's tennis team fell to No. 67 Iowa in the first Big Ten match of the season, 4-3, Friday March, 20 in Iowa City, Iowa. The match lasted over four hours, and the doubles team of senior John Allare (Maineville, Ohio) and junior Jason Norville (Farmington Hills, Mich.) improved to 10-3 in dual play.
The Spartans picked up the doubles point to control the match early on, making it the 11th match MSU has recorded the doubles point. Allare and Norville defeated Christian Bierich and Nikita Zotov of Iowa, 9-8, at the No. 1 position while the doubles tandem of freshman Austin Brooks (Houston, Texas) and sophomore John Stratton (Monroeville, N.J.) picked up the win over Reinoud Haal and Greg Holm, 8-4.
Allare posted a win at No. 1 singles over Bierich, 6-3, 6-1, improving to 10-5 overall. Norville picked up the other win for the Green and White over Greg Holm at the No. 6 position, 3-6, 7-5, 6-4, improving to 8-4 in dual play.
"It was a tough loss," said head coach Gene Orlando. "We had the chance to win and we didn't close it out. We were in control for most of the match but Iowa hung in there and got it done at their place."
MSU will continue Big Ten play this Sunday, March 22 against Minnesota in Minneapolis, Minn., with play beginning at 12 p.m.
#67 Iowa 4, #68 Michigan State 3
1. John Allare (MSU) def. Christian Bierich (IOWA) 6-3, 6-1
2. Reinoud Haal (IOWA) def. Alex Forger (MSU) 5-7, 6-3, 6-1
3. Nikita Zotov (IOWA) def. Scott Rasmussen (MSU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-0
4. Will Vasos (IOWA) def. Austin Brooks (MSU) 6-7, 6-1, 7-6
5. Tommy McGeorge (IOWA) def. Ronnie Hulewicz (MSU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Jason Norville (MSU) def. Greg Holm (IOWA) 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
1. John Allare/Jason Norville (MSU) def. #55 Christian Bierich/Nikita Zotov (IOWA) 9-8
2. Austin Brooks/John Stratton (MSU) def. Reinoud Haal/Greg Holm (IOWA) 8-4
3. Will Vasos/Tommy McGeorge (IOWA) def. Alex Forger/Scott Rasmussen (MSU) 8-3