Men's Tennis Takes On ITA Midwest Regionals
Spartans send 10 to Ann Arbor, Michigan.
EAST LANSING, Mich. - Michigan State men's tennis travels to Ann Arbor, Michigan, for the 2017 ITA Midwest Regional Championships presented by Oracle from Thursday-Monday, Oct. 19-Oct. 23 at the Varsity Tennis Center. The winners of each main draw (singles and doubles) will receive automatic bids to the Oracle ITA National Fall Championships in Indian Wells, California.
Singles Qualifying Draw | Live Scoring
Qualifying singles rounds will start off on Thursday morning and conclude on Friday. Main draw singles and doubles will begin on Friday and finish on Monday. A full schedule can be found below.
"We're looking to advance from where we were at the Notre Dame Invite. Obviously, we want to continue to improve. We're trying to get some quality wins from all of our players," head coach Gene Orlando said. "This is the Midwest Regionals, it's the best of the best in the Midwest. It's a chance for us to make a stand, and that comes down to getting more results. Results are important, so that's what we're looking to do. We're going to take it one match at a time, play our game and be disciplined."
LAST TIME OUT
- The Spartans made their first appearance at the Bobby Bayliss Invitational hosted by Notre Dame since 2013.
- Four freshmen notched their first victories in the Green and White at the event.
- Four Spartans went 3-1 in singles play: junior Colin Harvey, junior Alex Kim, freshman Davis Wong and freshman John Carlin.
- John Carlin, Michael Dube, Alex Kim, Josh Mukherjee, Ivan Rakic, Billy Shisler, Jack Winkler and Davis Wong will start off in the qualifying draw.
- Brett Forman and Jasper Koenen will begin play in the main draw.
- Projected doubles pairings: Rakic/Carlin, Koenen/Forman, Wong/Kim, Mukherjee/Shisler and Winkler/Dube.
Midwest Region Teams
Michigan State, Chicago State, Cleveland State, DePaul, Detroit Mercy, Eastern Illinois, Illinois State, Illinois-Chicago, Illinois, Marquette, Michigan, Northern Illinois, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Toledo, Valparaiso, Western Michigan, Wisconsin-Green Bay, Wisconsin, Youngstown State
ITA Midwest Regional Championship Schedule
Thursday, Oct. 19
8 a.m. -- Singles Qualifying First Round
2 p.m. -- Singles Qualifying Second Round
*consolation will be played outdoors for first-round losers
Friday, Oct. 20
8 a.m. -- Singles Qualifying Third Round
10:30 a.m. -- Doubles Main Draw First Round
3 p.m. -- Doubles Main Draw Round of 32
5 p.m. -- Doubles Main Draw Round of 16
Saturday, Oct. 21
8 a.m. -- Singles Main Draw First Round
2 p.m. -- Singles Main Draw Round of 32
5 p.m. -- Doubles Main Draw Quarterfinals
Sunday, Oct. 22
10 a.m. -- Singles Main Draw Round of 16
1:30 p.m. -- Singles Main Draw Quarterfinals
4 p.m. -- Doubles Main Draw Semifinals
Monday, Oct. 23
10 a.m. -- Singles Main Draw Semifinals
1:30 a.m. -- Singles Main Draw Finals
4 p.m. -- Doubles Main Draw Finals