EAST LANSING, Mich. -- Michigan State wrestling will feature a freshman periodically throughout the preseason in order to “Meet the Spartans” leading up to the 2017-18 season.
This week freshman Nathan Atienza (Livonia, Mich./Livonia Franklin High School) sat down with msuspartans.com to answer some questions.
1. Why did you choose to wrestle at Michigan State?
I chose to wrestle at Michigan State because it was the perfect fit for what I wanted to accomplish as a student and as a wrestler, it also has the chance to be rebuilt into a great program which I want to be a part of.
2. What are you most excited about as you begin your Spartan wrestling career?
To get into a college wrestling room and to always have high level competition around me so I can constantly better myself.
3. When did you first start wrestling?
I began wrestling when I was 5 years old.
4. Favorite wrestling memory?
Making it to Team States my freshman year.
5. What’s your major at Michigan State and why?
I am undecided in my major but believe I will find the perfect fit within MSU to pursue a career through.
6. Who has taught you the most about wrestling growing up?
My dad, he’s been my coach since I was a kid and I wouldn’t be the wrestler I am today without him.
7. What superhero power would you have if you could choose one?
8. Favorite meal?
Steak and French fries
9. Favorite TV show?
Peaky Blinders on Netflix
10. Favorite thing to do besides wrestling?
Hanging out with my friends or family.