EAST LANSING, Mich. -- Michigan State wrestling will feature a freshman periodically throughout the preseason in order to “Meet the Spartans” leading up to the 2017-18 season.
This week freshman Chase Beard (Allegan, Mich./Allegan High School) sat down with msuspartans.com to answer some questions.
1. Why did you choose to wrestle at Michigan State?
I’ve always wanted to wrestle for Michigan State University since I was very young, wrestling in the state tournaments and the Spartan Classic in the Jenison Field House.
2. What are you most excited about as you begin your Spartan wrestling career?
To compete at the Division I level and in the Big Ten Conference.
3. When did you first start wrestling?
When I was five years old.
4. Favorite wrestling memory?
Growing up on the mat with my life long training partners Levi Sabin and Austin Farrell.
5. What your major at Michigan State and why?
I am undecided at this time.
6. Who has taught you the most about wrestling growing up?
I have had a lot of people leave a huge impact on my wrestling career including the Simaz family and Joseph Desrochers, but my father has been the one who has taught me the most throughout my entire wrestling career.
7. What superhero power would you have if you could choose one?
8. Favorite meal?
9. Favorite TV show?
The Walking Dead
10. Favorite thing to do besides wrestling?
Fishing and spending time with my girlfriend