No. 12 Spartans Topple Illinois, 70-57
Jan. 2, 2011
Listen to Spartan Sports Podcasts
EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) - Kalisha Keane scored 27 points to help No. 12 Michigan State beat Illinois 70-57 Sunday.
Lykendra Johnson added 16 points and 10 rebounds for the Spartans (13-1, 1-0 Big Ten), who are off to the best start in school history.
Michigan State was 12-2 in 1973-74 and 2004-05, the season it lost to Baylor in the NCAA final.
An 11-game winning streak also ties the second-longest run in school history.
Keane was 10 for 14 from the field and made 3 of 6 3-pointers.
She had 18 points in the first half as the Spartans sprinted to a 19-3 lead, then saw the Fighting Illini (6-9, 1-1) cut it to 36-32 at the break.
Karisma Penn had 23 points and Centrese McGee scored 12 for Illinois, which trimmed a 13-point margin to five in the second half.
With the win...
- Senior Kalisha Keane scored a game-high 27 points, her most in a Big Ten game in her career. It was Keane's six 20-point game this season. She entered the season with nine in her career.
- Keane was efficient from the field, going 10-of-14, including 3-of-6 from the 3-point arc. She also made both free throw attempts.
- It was the eighth time this season that Keane has led MSU in scoring.
- Junior Lykendra Johnson posted her third double-double of the season and 10th in her career. Johnson had 16 points and 10 rebounds. It was the seventh time this season that Johnson has led MSU in rebounds.
- Johnson tied a season high with six free throws made.
- Four Spartans had at least three steals with Keane and Johnson grabbing four each and seniors Brittney Thomas and Cetera Washington having three apiece.
- With her three steals, Thomas moved into a tie for 14th all-time at MSU with 175 steals.
- Thomas also tied her season high with five rebounds.
at the official