Feb. 15, 2014
Box Score |
EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) - Annalise Pickrel had 17 points, 11 rebounds and six assists as No. 25 Michigan State rolled to a 70-49 victory Saturday over Ohio State.
Michigan State closed the first half on a 17-2 run, taking a 42-21 lead into the break and led by double digits the rest of the way. Becca Mills scored 17 points for Michigan State. Aerial Powers added 15 points and tied a career-high with five assists.
The Spartans (17-8, 9-3 Big Ten) have won five of their last six games, bouncing back after losing to Nebraska 76-56 last Saturday. Michigan State is one game back of No. 11 Penn State for the top spot in the conference and hold a half-game lead over No. 21 Nebraska.
Ameryst Alston scored 25 points and Cait Craft added 11 to lead Ohio State (14-14, 4-8), which has lost four-straight.
- Tonight was the Spartans' annual Pink game, raising awareness for breast cancer research. The team wore its pink uniforms in the game.
- It was Pickrel's fourth career double-double, all this season, including three in Big Ten play.
- Pickrel's double-double was the 14th by the Spartans this season, the most by the team since 2004-05.
- Pickrel led the Spartans in points, rebounds and assists for the second time in the last five games.
- Pickrel's 11 rebounds were her most ever in a Big Ten game.
- Michigan State had a season-high 57 rebounds, its most in a game since grabbing 60 against North Carolina A&T on Nov. 12, 2011.
- MSU's +24 rebound margin tied for its highest this season (Canisius). It was the largest margin in a Big Ten game since being +27 at Illinois on Jan. 13, 2013.
- MSU's 21 assists tied its most in a Big Ten game this season (at Minnesota), and were the second most overall.
- The win was the Spartans first in East Lansing over Ohio State since 2009, having lost three in a row.
- MSU improved to 15-0 this season when shooting more free throws than its opponent.
- Becca Mills tied her career highs in blocks (5) and steals (2).
- Mills went 2-for-3 from 3-point, her most makes this season. It was her first 3-pointer since the Big Ten opener and Minnesota. She was 2-for-14 on the season entering today.
- With her career-high five blocks, Mills moved into 10th on the MSU career list with 63.
- Aerial Powers tied her season high with five assists and two 3-pointers.
- MSU is now 164-4 all-time when holding its opponent below 50 points.
- Under Coach Merchant, the Spartans are 71-5 when scoring at least 70 points.
- Jankoska moved into eighth place on the MSU freshman scoring list with 307 this season.
- The Spartans have won eight-straight games in February at Breslin Center and 19 of their last 20.
- Bell and Pickrel played their 118th career game, moving them into a tie for 19th on the MSU career list.
- Jankoska's two 3-pointers moved her into the top-20 on the MSU career 3-point field goal list.
- It was the Spartans' second-largest margin of victory over Ohio State in the all-time series, and their largest since Jan. 9, 1998.