Nov. 12, 2011
NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. - Led by senior Porsche Poole's career games, the Michigan State women's basketball posted a 113-60 win over North Carolina A&T Saturday to conclude action at the Iona College Tip-Off Tournament in New Rochelle, N.Y. Recording her second straight game with 12 points and nine points was freshman Becca Mills, earning herself all-tournament honors.
Poole led the Green and White with a career-high 24 points, as well as personal-bests in assists with six and steals with five.
Michigan State opened up the game with a 7-0 run, holding NCAT without a field goal for the first seven-minutes of the contest. The Spartans pushed their lead to as many at 32 at 52-20 with less than a minute left in the first half. Poole netted 20 of her 24 total points in the first half alone. On the boards, senior Lykendra Johnson and Mills each recorded six towards MSU's 29 total in the first.
The Spartans continued to lead wire-to-wire in the second half. After missing her initial shot, junior Jasmine Thomas rebounded her own shot and made the layup to give MSU its largest lead of the game with five minutes left in the game, bringing the score to 89-35.
Off the bench, freshman Jasmine Hines chipped in an additional 13 points to the Spartans point total, 12 of which came in the second half. On the boards, redshirt sophomore Kelsey Smith recorded eight rebounds, six on the defensive end.
As a team from the floor, the Spartans shot 57.5 percent while holding the opposition to 32.3 percent from the field.
After finishing the weekend with 24 total points and 18 rebounds over the course of both contests, Mills was named to the all-tournament team for her performances.
MSU returns home for its home opener on Tuesday, Nov. 15 for a 7 p.m. contest against IPFW in East Lansing.
- MSU's 113 points is the first time since Nov. 14, 2008 it has scored over 100 points.
- Every Spartan who entered the contest against North Carolina A&T scored at least two points.
- Senior Porsche Poole tallied career-highs in points, assists and steals against NCAT. Poole recorded 24 points, six assists and five steals.
- Freshman Becca Mills recorded 12 points and nine rebounds for the second-consecutive game.
- Senior Lykendra Johnson is now 81 points away from becoming the 22nd Spartan to score 1,000 points (919 points).