Colley Earns Double-Double in Spartan Win Over Oakland
Three Michigan State player reach double-figures as Spartans' move to 2-0.
EAST LANSING, Mich. - Redshirt-sophomore guard Shay Colley was one assist shy of a triple-double as the Spartans stopped Oakland, 95-63, at the Breslin Center on Monday. With the win, Michigan State improved to 2-0 for the third-straight season.
MSU Box Score vs. OU
Colley ended with 14 points, a team-high 12 rebounds and nine assists in just her second game as a Spartan. Senior forward Taya Reimer was one-point shy of her career high with a team-high 20 points with five rebounds and four blocks. Redshirt senior Branndais Agee was the third Spartan in double-figures with 12 points and six boards.
The Spartans were strong on the boards, out re-bounding the Golden Grizzlies, 59-34.
Both teams were cold from the field to start the game. Midway through the first quarter, Reimer got the Spartans going with five-straight points to take a 13-12 lead. Michigan State went 5-of-6 from the field to end the first to lead after the first period, 20-17.
The Spartan offense came to life in the second period. Following five-straight points from freshman forward Sidney Cooks, MSU jumped out to a 34-22 lead, which led to an Oakland timeout. Michigan State dominated the second-quarter out-scoring the Golden Grizzlies 29-12. The Spartans entered the locker room with a 49-29 advantage.
In the third quarter, Oakland made a push out-scoring the Spartans 26-24.
MSU finished off OU in the fourth quarter, out-scoring the Golden Grizzlies 22-8. The Spartans used an 18-3 run to take a 95-60 lead. Agee scored six of her 12 points in the final 10 minutes of the game.
Michigan State concludes the first of two four-game homestands on Sunday, Nov. 19 against College of Charleston at 12 p.m. The game is the first half of a doubleheader with the MSU men. This is the first of five doubleheaders this season.
MSU Notes vs. Oakland
- MSU is now 14-4 overall against Oakland, currently on a 10 game winning streak in the series.
- Twelve Spartans saw action in the game, 11 of which netted points.
- Three Spartans scored in double figures - Reimer (20), Colley (14) and Agee (12).
- Redshirt-sophomore guard Shay Colley notched the first Spartan double-double of the season, scoring 14 points and grabbing 12 rebounds. Colley dished out nine assists, just one shy of a triple-double.
- Colley also led the team with four steals, a season-high.
- Senior forward Taya Reimer scored 20 points, her second game in a row scoring in double figures and the 17th of her career.
- Sophomore guard Taryn McCutcheon continued her starting streak, marking the 35th game of her career with a start.