Nov. 17, 2013
The Spartans (2-1) trailed by two late in regulation, but Powers hit a layup with nine seconds remaining to send the game into overtime.
Following an Ally Malott 3-pointer to cut Dayton's deficit to one, Michigan State scored six straight points as Jankoska hit a layup to make the score 89-82 in overtime.
Pickrel finished with 21 points and Kiana Johnson had 14 for the Spartans. Jankoska grabbed nine rebounds, and Powers and Pickrel each hauled in seven.
Andrea Hoover led the Flyers (2-2) with 25 points and Malott added 19 with a game-high 15 boards.
- Over the past two games, the Spartans have totaled 198 points, it is the most points in consecutive games in MSU history. The previous high was 190 in the first two games of the 1990-91 season.
- The Spartans won their 41st straight game when scoring at least 70 points, and are now 59-4 under Coach Merchant when reaching that number.
- Michigan State became just the fourth team in the country to play two ranked opponents so far this season.
- Today was the first time since Feb. 8, 1998 that three Spartans scored at least 20 points in the same game, Tori Jankoska and Aerial Powers each scored 24 points, and Annalise Pickrel added 21.
- Jankoska becomes the first Spartan freshman since Becky Cummings in 1995 to begin her MSU career with three-straight double-figure scoring games.
- Both Jankoska and Powers scored 24 points today. It is the most points scored by a Spartan freshman since Kalisha Keane scored 24 points in the WNIT Championship game vs. Marquette (April 5, 2008).
- Jankoska set season highs in points (24), rebounds (9), field goals (8), 3-pointers (4), free throws (4) and minutes (39).
- Powers tied or set season highs in points (24), field goals (10), rebounds (7), assists (5), steals (5) and minutes (35).
- Pickrel tied her career high with 21 points, including seven in overtime, in 31 minutes. She went 7-for-10 from the field and 7-for-8 from the 3-point line. Her field goals tied her career high, while her free throws set a new career mark.
- Klarissa Bell tied her career high with six assists, leading the team for the second-straight game.
- Cara Miller played a career-high 17 minutes.
- The Spartans outrebounded Dayton 45-42. The Flyers entered the game with a +9.7 rebound margin.
- Michigan State had won 18 of its last 20 overtime games dating back to the 2003-04 season.
- MSU has won 83 of its last 84 games when leading with five minutes left. The Spartans held a 65-64 lead at that point today.
- In the month of November, the Spartans are now 24-1 at Breslin Center in Coach Merchant's tenure.
- Michigan State improves to 8-4 all-time against Dayton.
- The Spartans have won all five of their games on Nov. 17.