Spartans Topple Western Michigan, 74-51
Lykendra Johnson led the Spartans with 21 points on Sunday.
Nov. 22, 2009
Spartan Sports Podcasts
Head Coach Suzy Merchant's Postgame Press Conference
Michigan State's 6-foot-9 center Allyssa DeHaan added seven points, 11 rebounds and five blocks for the Spartans (2-2).
Johnson, who only missed one of her nine shots, had 16 points in the first half. Brittney Thomas scored at the buzzer to give the Spartans a 33-23 lead at halftime. The Spartans went on a 9-0 run to open the second half and led by double digits the rest of the way.
Sara Vest had 15 points and eight rebounds for Western Michigan (1-3).
- Johnson's 21 points and eight made field goals are career highs. She also tied her previous high with two made 3-point field goals.
- MSU is now 2-1 all-time in Van Andel Arena and 4-3 in Grand Rapids.
- The Spartans have won four straight and seven of the last eight games against Western Michigan.
- MSU forced 30 Western Michigan turnovers, the most by a MSU opponent since Nov. 20, 2004, when Central Connecticut committed 34.
- Porsche Poole set a new career high with four assists.
- Jefferson moved into 23rd place on the Spartans' career points list with 967.
- MSU has won on Nov. 22 in each of the last three seasons.