Nov. 26, 2013
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Tori Jankoska scored 19 points and pulled down 11 rebounds as No. 21/18 Michigan State survived to beat Temple 74-70 Tuesday night at McGonigle Hall.
Temple's Feyonda Fitzgerald scored 13 first-half points as the Owls (3-1) powered to a 32-28 lead at the break. The lead would get as high as nine before MSU (5-1) would reel them back.
The teams traded buckets most of the second half, but MSU was able to take a three-point lead with 3:17 left. Temple's Tyonna Williams cut the lead to 67-66 after a pair of free throws. Jankoska answered with a jumper, pushing the lead back to three.
Temple never got closer, and MSU closed out the game at the line.
Annalise Pickrel added 18 points for MSU while Becca Mills scored 13 points to go with her nine rebounds. Kiana Johnson added six assists.
The Spartans return to action after the Thanksgiving holiday, hosting IPFW on Sunday at 4:30 p.m.
- It is the first time since 2005 that Michigan State has scored at least 70 points in five-straight games.
- Michigan State went 29-for-36 (80.6%) from the free throw line. The makes are the most since MSU made 30 against Rutgers on Jan. 7, 2006.
- Tori Jankoska became the third different Spartan to post a double-double this season.
- Jankoska set season highs in rebounds (11), assists (four) and free throws made (10).
- Jankoska's 10 free throws made were the most by a Spartan since Feb. 6, 2011, when Brittney Thomas made 14 vs. Purdue.
- Kiana Johnson has led MSU in assists in each of the last three games. Over the span, she has 19 assists to just two turnovers.
- The Spartans won their 44th straight game when scoring at least 70 points.
- Michigan State ended the month of November at 5-1. Under Coach Merchant, the Spartans are 37-8 in the month.
- Becca Mills tied her season high with nine rebounds tonight.
- Mills also made her first 3-pointer of the season, after missing her first six attempts.
- With her block tonight, Annalise Pickrel moved into a tie for 15th on the MSU career block list with 49.
- Michigan State held a 42-30 margin in rebounding.
- The Spartans improved to 4-0 all-time against Temple.
- In her two games against the Owls, Pickrel averaged 17.0 points.