Dec. 18, 2010
EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) - Taylor Alton scored 14 points to lead No. 14 Michigan State past Dartmouth 88-33 on Saturday.
The Spartans opened the game with a 19-2 run and led 48-20 at halftime. They shot 41 percent from the field.
Kelsey Byrd led the Big Green (3-7) with 11 points. Cassie Cooper added eight points and seven rebounds.
MSU outrebounded Dartmouth 53-34 and scored 40 points off 28 Big Green turnovers.
With the win...
- MSU improves to 11-1 on the season and have won nine straight.
- The start is the second-best start in program history. The 2004-05 team began 12-1.
- The nine-game winning streak is the third longest in program history. The Spartans had a 17-game streak in 2005 and an 11-game stretch in 1977.
- The Spartans have won 12 in a row at the Breslin Center and improve to 219-78 all-time in the building. The 12-game winning streak is the fourth longest home winning streak in program history.
- Under Coach Merchant, MSU is now 56-6 when holding its opponent under 60 points, including eight of the nine games during the winning streak.
- Meanwhile, when scoring 70 or more points under Merchant, MSU is 37-4 and have won 20 in a row.
- MSU is 132-4 all-time when holding opponents below 50 points.
- The Spartans has won both all-time games against Dartmouth.
- All 14 Spartans saw action with 12 of them scoring a field goal.
- Junior Taylor Alton led MSU in scoring for the second time in the last three games. The first two times of her career. Her 14 points were the second most in her career.
- Alton went 4-of-7 from behind the arc, setting a new career high for 3-pointers. Over the last three games, she is 9-of-15 (60.0%) from the 3-point line.
- Alton also set a career high with two steals.
- Redshirt sophomore Courtney Schiffauer scored in double-figures for the first time this season with 12 points. She also added a season-high three assists.
- With her game- and season-high seven assists, senior Brittney Thomas moved into ninth place on the MSU career assist list with 340.
- With her four steals, Thomas also moved into 17th place with 171 career steals.
- Freshman Klarissa Bell had a season and game-high nine rebounds. The first time she has led MSU in rebounds. Bell also set season highs with two blocks and two steals.
- Senior Cetera Washington set a career-record with four steals.
- Freshman Bryonna Davis set a season high with nine points in 10 minutes, going 3-of-4 from 3-point range.
- Redshirt freshman Kelsey Smith set season-highs with seven rebounds and two steals.
- Senior Jasmine Holmes scored her second career field goal.
- MSU had a season-low 11 turnovers, while forcing Dartmouth into 28 turnovers, the most forced by the Spartans this season. The Spartans had a 40-4 edge in points off turnovers. The most points off turnovers by MSU this season.
- The Spartans tied a season-high with 19 steals and have posted double-figures steals in seven of the last eight games.
- MSU had a season-high 25 offensive rebounds and are averaging 18.8 offensive boards over the last five games. The Spartans had a 26-8 edge in second chance points.
- Michigan State hit 11 3-point field goals, the fifth time this season that the Spartans have made double-figure 3-pointers. MSU only had nine double-digit 3-point games in its history prior to this season.
- The 24 3-pointers over the last two games, breaks a two-game program record, set for the third time already this season.
- MSU held Dartmouth to 22.4% shooting from the field. It is the lowest opponent field goal percentage since Michigan shot 18.8% on Feb. 19, 2007.
- The 33 points allowed are the second fewest scored by an opponent at the Breslin Center. Michigan scored 27 on Feb. 19, 2009.
- The 55 point margin of victory was the largest since MSU beat Niagara 116-50 on Nov. 14, 2008.
- The Spartans are 8-0 this season and 22-1 over the past two seasons when shooting more free throws than their opponent.
- MSU tied a season high with nine blocks.
- MSU had a 53-34 edge on the boards.
- Dartmouth was held to 2-of-13 (15.4%) shooting from behind the arc.
- MSU held Dartmouth without a field goal for the first 9:21 of the game.