Spartans Shut Down Oregon State, 49-35
Mills and Hines lead MSU to victory in the opener of the South Point Holiday Hoops Classic.
Dec. 19, 2012
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - The Michigan State women's basketball team opened the 2012 South Point Holiday Hoops Classic on Wednesday with a 49-35 victory over Oregon State. The Spartans, who improve to 10-1 on the season, were led by 16 points from sophomore Becca Mills and 12 from classmate Jasmine Hines.
The Spartans never trailed today, scoring the first five points, holding Oregon State scoreless over the first 3:48 and without a field goal for the first 6:39. After the first Beaver basket, Michigan State ran off eight straight points to open a 15-3 lead with nine minutes to go. Back-to-back field goals by Oregon State cut the lead back to eight at 15-7, but nine unanswered by MSU over the next four minutes opened up a 17-point Spartan advantage (24-7) with 3:45 to go. The Beavers closed the half with the last eight points to take the momentum into the break, down 24-15.
The momentum quickly swung back towards the Michigan State bench in the opening minutes of the second half, as the Spartans ran off a 10-0 run to begin the half, including six points from Mills. Oregon State would again cut the Spartan lead to single digits (36-27) with 9:11 to go, but five quick points from MSU took the steam out of the Beavers' attack. Michigan State held OSU to one field goal in the final 7:53 to close out the 49-35 victory.
The Spartan defense held Oregon State to 24.5% from the field, including 0-for-15 from behind the arc. MSU forced 16 turnovers and converted them to a 16-2 margin in points off turnovers. Despite Oregon State's distinct size advantage and its +8.9 rebound margin entering the game, Michigan State controlled the boards, 41-37.
Michigan State wraps up the South Point Holiday Hoops Classic tomorrow with a 5:30 p.m. ET tip against Texas Tech (8-1).
POST GAME NOTES:
- Today was Suzy Merchant's 500th game as a collegiate head coach.
- The Spartans begin the season 10-1 for the fifth time in program history.
- Michigan State has held six of its first 11 opponents under 40 points.
- MSU has held each of its opponents below their season scoring average. Oregon State entered the game averaging 63.5 points per game.
- The Spartans have also held each opponent's leading scorer below her average. The Beavers' Jamie Weisner (11.2 ppg) had nine points on 3-for-12 shooting.
- Over the last eight games, MSU's opponents are shooting 18.3% (24-for-131) from behind the arc.
- Oregon State's 24.5% shooting was the lowest by a Spartan opponent this season.
- The 49 points are the fewest points in a win by MSU since scoring 41 vs. Michigan on Jan. 15, 2009.
- Becca Mills has five-straight double-digit scoring games, averaging a team-best 14.2 points during that stretch.
- Michigan State improves to 76-42 all-time in regular season tournaments.
- Today was Michigan State's first ever game in the state of Nevada.
- MSU is now 151-4 all-time when holding its opponent under 50 points.
- Michigan State beat Oregon State for the first time, having lost the only other meeting in 1992.