Women's Basketball Falls 63-57 to No. 13 Oklahoma State
Pickrel led four Spartans in double-figures with 15 points.
Dec. 19, 2013
SAN JUAN, P.R. - In the opener of the Puerto Rico Classic, the Michigan State women's basketball team dropped a 63-57 contest with No. 13/16 Oklahoma State on Thursday. The Spartans (6-5) led by 15 points in the first half, but were unable to overcome a late run by the Cowgirls (9-0).
Senior Annalise Pickrel led the way with 15 points, while also adding seven rebounds and four assists. Junior Becca Mills added 12 points, and classmate Kiana Johnson chipped in 11 points and a game-high six assists. Redshirt freshman Aerial Powers posted 10 points, a game-high nine rebounds and two steals.
The Cowgirls jumped out to a 7-2 lead, before a Klarissa Bell layup with 14:13 on the clock began a 20-0 run by the Spartans. Oklahoma State went over 12 minutes without a made field goal, missing 18 in a row. However, over the last 6:38 of the half, the Cowgirls closed the half on a 14-2 run to get within three (24-21) at the half.
After Oklahoma State retook the lead in the first couple minutes of the second half at 29-28, the Spartans responded with 12-3 run to go ahead eight with 12:15 to go. The pendulum of momentum swung back to Oklahoma State, as the Cowgirls went on a 13-1 run of their own to open a lead they would not relinquish.
The Spartans close out play in San Juan tomorrow against Georgetown at 2:30 p.m. ET.
- Michigan State's defense was solid today, holding Oklahoma State to season-low points (57), field goal percentage (30.6%) and assists (8). OSU was averaging 84.1 points on the year, which was 17th in the nation, and previous low was 74 points. The Cowgirls were also seventh nationally in assists (19.8) and ninth in field goal percentage (48.8%).
- The Cowgirls were also forcing 20.6 turnovers with 12.9 steals per game, but today was held to three steals and MSU had only 14 turnovers.
- With her six assists, Johnson moved into 16th place on the MSU all-time list.
- Over her last six games, Johnson has totaled 38 assists with only six turnovers.
- Madison Williams tied her career highs in minutes (13) and rebounds (4).