Colley Guides MSU Past Quinnipiac, 74-55
Redshirt-sophomore Shay Colley leads Spartans to third-straight win.
EAST LANSING, Mich. - Redshirt-sophomore guard Shay Colley led all scorers with 14 points as the Michigan State women's basketball team stopped Quinnipiac, 74-55, Monday at the Breslin Center.
PDF Box Score vs. Quinnipiac
Three Spartans scored in double figures led by Colley's 14 points. Senior guard/forward Lexi Gussert and junior forward Jenna Allen both added 10 points. Redshirt-sophomore forward Victoria Gaines added a team-high 10 rebounds, as MSU out-rebounded the Bobcats, 50-32.
Michigan State got off to a fast start, scoring the first nine points of the game. The lead would eventually grow to 17-4 before the Bobcats scored the final three points of the quarter to pull within 17-7.
In the second quarter, the Spartans scored the first five points of the period to take a 22-7 advantage. Michigan State's defense kept the Bobcats off-balance, limiting them to 10 percent shooting for the half. Quinnipiac used an 8-0 run to cut the Spartan lead to 26-15 late in the second period. A Gaines field goal ended the run and put MSU back up 28-15.
MSU turned the tables on QU ending the first half on a 7-0 run, including a mid-court shot at the buzzer from McCutcheon. The Spartans entered the locker room with a 35-19 lead. Once again, the Spartan defense put the clamps on the Bobcats, limiting them for the final 5:40 of the half without a field goal.
At the end of the third quarter, the Spartans used a 13-0 run to take a commanding 58-32 lead, MSU's largest of the night. Michigan State took advantage of six third-quarter turnovers by the Bobcats, scoring 11 points off of turnovers.
Senior forward Kennedy Johnson scored five of her nine points in the fourth quarter alone, on an old fashioned three-point play and a layup, as the Spartans denied the Bobcats of any chance of a rally, and coasted to the victory.
Michigan State now hits the road for its final non-conference games of the season at the New Orleans Shootout, Dec. 21-22. The Spartans will take on No. 22/20 South Florida on on Dec. 21 at 8:30 p.m. (ET) and will conclude the tournament against Mississippi Valley State on Dec. 22 at 6 p.m. (ET).
MSU Notes vs. Quinnipiac
- The Spartans improve to 3-0 all-time against Quinnipiac and take the first home victory of the series.
- With the win, the Spartans are unbeaten at home this season at 6-0.
- The starting lineup of McCutcheon, Colley, Gussert, Cooks and Allen is now 3-0 on the season
- MSU is 5-0 when sophomore guard Shay Colley scores in double figures.
- Junior forward Jenna Allen netted a career-high seven free throws, and sophomore guard Shay Colley recorded a career-high eight points from the line.
- Senior guard/forward Lexi Gussert set a season-high with four field goals and ended the game with 10 points.