Women's Tennis Tops Ball State and Detroit
MSU women's tennis improves record to 5-0.
Jan. 27, 2013
EAST LANSING, Mich. – Michigan State University picked up two wins on Sunday, Jan. 27, in match ups against Ball State and Detroit. The Spartans tallied a 6-1 win against Ball State before blanking Detroit, 7-0.
“I’m happy about the effort the team put in today,” said head coach Simone Jardim. “We worked on a lot of doubles this week and the hard work paid off. We keep getting better each week and have high hopes for the season.”
Michigan State 6, Ball State 1
In doubles matches facing Ball State, junior Marina Bohrer and sophomore Catherine Parenteau edged Courtney Earnest and Ayaka Terashi, 8-5. Seniors Nicole Herzog and Katarina Lingl saw action while picking up an 8-6 victory on court two. Freshman Emily Meyers and sophomore Julianne Gruber continued their winning streak with an 8-2 win.
Bohrer on court one defeated Terashi in two sets, 6-1, 6-1. Parenteau topped Courtney Wild in a close match at the No. 2 spot, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4. Gaining a win on court four scoring 6-4, 5-7, 7-5, was Herzog facing Bethany Moore. Junior Katarina Lingl fell in the first set, 5-7, before rebounding to win the match, 7-5, 6-2. Meyers dropped her competition in two sets scoring, 6-0, 6-2.
Michigan State 7, Detroit 0
Pushing past the competition versus Detroit on court one in doubles matches was Bohrer and Parenteau, 8-1. Meyers and Gruber recorded a 7-4 win at the No. 2 spot facing Valeriya Kulikouskaya and Julia Fernandes. Spartans’ junior Jennifer Yen and Silesova finished up doubles play with a victory facing Raina Halabi and Chloe Karoub, 8-4.
Bohrer tallied a win in singles play, 6-1, 1-0, retire, while facing Nino Sujashvili on court one. Following at the No. 2 spot was Parenteau taking down Karoub, 6-3, 6-1. In the action on court three, Herzog picked up her second win of the day, edging Detroit’s Irina Sizovskaya, 6-3, 3-6, 11-9. Lingl defeated her competition after falling in the first set, 4-6, 6-4, 10-8. At the No. 5 spot, Meyers marked a win, 6-3, 6-2, before Gruber dominated her competition at No. 6, 6-2, 6-1.
Michigan State continues home competitions at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility on Saturday, Feb. 2. The Green and White will face Cleveland State at 10 a.m. and Toledo at 6 p.m.
Results: Ball State
1. Bohrer/Parenteau (MSU) def. Earnest/Terashi (BSU): 8-5
2. Herzog/Lingl (MSU) def. Wild/Moore (BSU): 8-6
3. Meyers/Gruber (MSU) def. Sanders/Pickrel (BSU): 8-2
1. Bohrer (MSU) def. Terashi (BSU): 6-1, 6-1
2. Parenteau (MSU) def. Wild (BSU): 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
3. Earnest (BSU) def. Chernova (MSU): 6-2, 6-2
4. Herzog (MSU) def. Moore (BSU): 6-4, 5-7, 7-5
5. Lingl (MSU) def. Sanders (BSU): 5-7, 7-5, 6-2
6. Meyers (MSU) def. Rang (BSU): 6-0, 6-2
1. Bohrer/Parenteau (MSU) def. Strakhova/Sizouskaya (DET): 8-1
2. Meyers/Gruber (MSU) ret. Kulikouskaya/Fernandes (DET): 7-4
3. Silesova/Yen (MSU) def. Halabi/Karoub (DET): 8-4
1. Bohrer (MSU) def. Sujashvili (DET): 6-1, 1-0 retire
2. Parenteau (MSU) def. Karoub (DET): 6-3, 6-1
3. Herzog (MSU) def. Slizovskaya (DET): 6-3, 3-6, 11-9
4. Lingl (MSU) def. Halabi (DET): 4-6, 6-4, 10-8
5. Meyers (MSU) def. Fernandes (DET): 6-3, 6-2
6. Gruber (MSU) vs. Strakhova (DET): 6-2, 6-1