Jan. 31, 2014
EAST LANSING, Mich. - Coming off its first loss of the season last Sunday, the Michigan State women's tennis team bounced back emphatically Friday afternoon with a win over Cleveland State at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility. MSU was too much for Cleveland State and made it a clean sweep with a 7-0 victory.
The Spartans earned the doubles point behind Marina Bohrer and Erin Faulkner's 6-1 win on the top court and Emily Meyers and Julianne Gruber's 6-4 decision on the No. 2 court. MSU cleaned up on the singles courts, winning all six matches in straight sets. Junior Catherine Parenteau had a dominating performance on the third court, blanking Victoria Bensimon, 6-0, 6-0. Bohrer also faced little resistance from Princess Gbadamosi on the top court and won handily 6-1, 6-2.
With the win, MSU improved to 3-1 on the season. The Spartans are 19-5 overall in singles play and 8-2 overall in doubles action in dual play. Bohrer and sophomore Emily Meyers are both riding three-match winning streaks in dual play.
The Spartans return to action Sunday, Feb. 2, as they will take on Eastern Michigan at 11 a.m. at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility.
1) Marina Bohrer/Erin Faulkner (MSU) def. Kara Sherwood/Alex Bush (CSU) 6-1
2) Emily Meyers/Julianne Gruber (MSU) def. Princess Gbadamosi/Alex Power (CSU) 6-4
3) Athena Trouillot/Anna Zelechonok (MSU) vs. Mathilde Orange/Ellen Folkers (CSU) 5-5, unfinished
1) Marina Bohrer (MSU) def. Princess Gbadamosi (CSU) 6-1, 6-2
2) Erin Faulkner (MSU) def. Kara Sherwood (CSU) 6-3, 6-1
3) Catherine Parenteau (MSU) def. Victoria Bensimon (CSU) 6-0, 6-0
4) Olga Chernova (MSU) def. Alex Bush (CSU) 6-2, 7-5
5) Emily Meyers (MSU) def. Mathilde Orange (CSU) 6-3, 6-1
6) Athena Trouillot (MSU) def. Ellen Folkers (CSU) 6-1, 6-3