Feb. 2, 2014
EAST LANSING, Mich. - The Michigan State women's tennis team was able to close out its weekend with a dominant win over in-state foe Eastern Michigan on Sunday at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility. MSU defeated the Eagles 6-1 and improved its overall season record to 4-1.
"We are starting to look like a team," head coach Simone Jardim said. "We are doing a better job of working together. We are taking steps in the right direction and are excited about the future."
MSU grabbed an early lead by sweeping the doubles matches. Coach Jardim kept her doubles lineup the same from Friday's win over Cleveland State, with Marina Bohrer and Erin Faulkner pairing on the top court, Emily Meyers and Julianne Gruber on the second court and freshmen Athena Trouillot and Anna Zelechonok on the third court. MSU remains 4-0 on the season on the third doubles court, with four different tandems each going 1-0.
The Spartans were able to claim five of the six singles matches. Bohrer defeated Klara Supejova, 6-3, 7-6, on the top court, improving to 4-0 on the season in singles dual matches when playing No. 1. Faulkner also won her match on the No. 2 court over Diana Davitaia 6-2, 6-3. Faulkner is 4-0 playing on the No. 2 court this season.
Overall, MSU has a 4-1 record on each of the six singles court.
MSU continues its non-conference schedule with a home doubleheader next Saturday, facing Bowling Green at 10 a.m., and Oakland at 4 p.m.
MSU 6, EMU 1
1) Marina Bohrer/Erin Faulkner (MSU) def. Nino Mebuke/Klara Supejova (EMU) 7-6
2) Emily Meyers/Julianne Gruber (MSU) def. Mariya Toncheva/Diana Davitaia (EMU) 6-2
3) Athena Trouillot/Anna Zelechonok (MSU) def. Daphne Friedrichs/Zsofia Biro (EMU) 6-3
1) Marina Bohrer (MSU) def. Klara Supejova (EMU) 6-3, 7-6
2) Erin Faulkner (MSU) def. Diana Davitaia (EMU) 6-2, 6-3
3) Nino Mebuke (EMU) def. Catherine Parenteau (MSU) 6-4, 6-2
4) Emily Meyers (MSU) def. Mariya Toncheva (EMU) 6-1, 6-2
5) Olga Chernova (MSU) def. Daphne Friedrichs (EMU) 6-3, 6-3
6) Athena Trouillot (MSU) def. Zsofia Biro (EMU) 6-2, 6-0