Women's Tennis Caps Home Stand with Doubleheader Sweep
Spartans defeat Bowling Green and Oakland.
Feb. 8, 2014
EAST LANSING, Mich. - The Michigan State women's tennis team concluded its seven-match home stand with a sweep in its doubleheader of matches Saturday. MSU beat up Bowling Green, 5-2, in the first match of the doubleheader and then took care of Oakland, 7-0, in the second match at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility. With the win, the Spartans extended their winning streak to four and have won six of their first seven matches to start the season.
Head coach Simone Jardim was happy with the two wins today and she remains focused on making sure her team is making improvements each weekend. She has been preaching to her team about being detail-oriented and having a one-day-at-a-time mindset during this first chunk of the season.
"Every weekend is another opportunity to come out and get better and that's what we are doing," she said. "Our thing has been that we have had some details to work on. This week I think it was just discipline, getting more disciplined because the matches are only going to get tougher from now on. We're progressing. It's slow progress and at this point we've got to take one day at a time. We can't think about March, it's still February and we've still got work to do until Big Ten starts."
The first match of the day saw MSU take care of Bowling Green by a tally of 5-2. Bowling Green took the doubles point to open, marking the first time all season MSU did not win the initial point. MSU showed its singles strength though and won five of six singles points. Marina Bohrer, Olga Chernova, Athena Trouillot and Julianne Gruber all won handily in straight sets while Catherine Parenteau clinched her match in a third-set tiebreak.
MSU moved to 5-0 against Bowling Green under Coach Jardim.
In the second match of the day, MSU made quick work of in-state foe Oakland by sweeping them in a total match time that lasted just under two hours. MSU cruised to the doubles point, with Catherine Parenteau and Anna Zelechonok winning 6-4 on the top court, Olga Chernova and Katarina Lingl winning 6-4 on the second court, and Hilary Hager and Jennifer Yen winning 6-1 on the third court. With Chernova and Lingl paired together, it marked the first time the two seniors were doubles partners since Feb. 11, 2012. In their careers, the senior duo is 4-4 when paired with each other.
All six singles matches were controlled by MSU, as the Spartans won every set and each set was won by at least three games.
MSU swept Oakland for the third consecutive season.
To go along with the team's four-match streak, several players are on winning streaks of their own. Senior co-captain Marina Bohrer continued her strong play on the top singles court, winning both of her matches on the day. She has started dual play with a 6-0 record. Junior Catherine Parenteau won both her matches on the No. 2 singles court and has won four of her first five. Senior Olga Chernova and freshman Athena Trouillot each have both won six of their first seven matches of the season, including their last four in a row.
MSU will hit the road for the first time this season as it heads to Chicago, Ill., next weekend. The Spartans will play UIC Feb. 15 and will face No. 74 DePaul the next day.
Michigan State 5, Bowling Green 2
1) Marina Bohrer/Erin Faulkner (MSU) def. Emily Reuland/Drew Fillis (BG) 7-6(5)
2) Nikki Chiricosta/Katie Brozovich (BG) def. Emily Meyers/Julianne Gruber (MSU) 6-4
3) Hannah Drayton/Harley Hutchinson (BG) def. Athena Trouillot/Anna Zelechonok (MSU) 6-3
1) Marina Bohrer (MSU) def. Nikki Chiricosta (BG) 6-0, 6-4
2) Catherine Parenteau (MSU) def. Emily Reuland (BG) 6-4, 1-6, 10-7
3) Katie Brozovich (BG) def. Emily Meyers (MSU) 4-6, 6-2, 10-5
4) Olga Chernova (MSU) def. Drew Fillis (BG) 6-2, 6-2
5) Athena Trouillot (MSU) def. Harley Hutchison (BG) 6-2, 6-1
6) Julianne Gruber (MSU) def. Hannah Drayton (BG) 6-4, 6-1
Michigan State 7, Oakland 0
1) Catherine Parenteau/Anna Zelechonok (MSU) def. Karine Celis/Juliana Guevara (OU) 6-4
2) Olga Chernova/Katarina Lingl (MSU) def. Elizabeth Guy/Tamara Blum (OU) 6-4
3) Hilary Hager/Jennifer Yen (MSU) def. Rebecca Phyle/Cam Sabourin (OU) 6-1
1) Marina Bohrer (MSU) def. Karine Celis (OU) 6-0, 6-2
2) Catherine Parenteau (MSU) def. Tamara Blum (OU) 6-3, 6-3
3) Emily Meyers (MSU) def. Cam Sabourin (OU) 6-2, 6-0
4) Olga Chernova (MSU) def. Elizabeth Guy (OU) 6-1, 6-2
5) Athena Trouillot (MSU) def. Rebecca Phyle (OU) 6-1, 6-1
6) Katarina Lingl (MSU) def. Juliana Guevara (OU) 6-1, 6-1