Women's Tennis Cruises Past UIC, 5-2
Spartans win fifth match in a row.
Feb. 15, 2014
GRIFFITH, Ind. - In its first match of the season on the road, the Michigan State women's tennis team handled UIC by a final of 5-2 inside Match Point Tennis in Griffith, Ind. The Spartans improved to 7-1 on the season and upped their winning streak to five matches.
The Spartans claimed the doubles point over the Flames, making it now seven out of eight matches in which MSU has won the initial point. Senior Marina Bohrer and freshman Erin Faulkner earned an 8-1 win on the top doubles court, taking down Mariana Palacios and Natalia Kuvakina. Bohrer and Faulkner have won five matches in a row playing No. 1 doubles and are 5-1 in dual play. Freshmen Athena Trouillot and Anna Zelechonok claimed a win on the third court, defeating Keti Mebuke and Veronica Lacerda 8-3.
MSU followed up its doubles point by winning four of six singles matches. Bohrer faced Palacios again on the No. 1 singles court and won 6-3, 7-5. With the win, Bohrer remains unbeaten in dual play with a 7-0 record. After dropping the first set on the No. 2 court, Faulkner rallied to defeat Kuvakina in three sets, 1-6, 6-4, 6-2. Faulkner is 5-0 when playing on the second court. Senior Olga Chernova and freshman Athena Trouillot claimed wins on the fifth and sixth singles courts, respectively. Chernova defeated Keti Mebuke 6-4, 7-5, and improved her dual record to 7-1 while winning her past five in a row. Trouillot was victorious over Veronica Lacerda, winning 6-2, 6-2. Trouillot, too, has a five-match winning streak on her side and is 7-1 in dual play.
MSU returns to action Sunday as it faces No. 53 DePaul at 2 p.m. ET, inside Lakeshore Sport and Fitness in Chicago.
1) Marina Bohrer/Erin Faulkner (MSU) def. Mariana Palacios/Natalia Kuvakina (UIC) 8-1
2) Kathryn Sharples/Jana Knoppe (UIC) def. Julianne Gruber/Emily Meyers (MSU) 8-3
3) Athena Trouillot/Anna Zelechonok (MSU) def. Keti Mebuke/Veronica Lacerda (UIC) 8-3
1) Marina Bohrer (MSU) def. Mariana Palacios (UIC) 6-3, 7-5
2) Erin Faulkner (MSU) def. Natalia Kuvakina (UIC) 1-6, 6-4, 6-2
3) Kathryn Sharples (UIC) def. Catherine Parenteau (MSU) 6-1, 6-2
4) Jana Knoppe (UIC) def. Emily Meyers (MSU) 7-5, 6-0
5) Olga Chernova (MSU) def. Keti Mebuke (UIC) 6-4, 7-5
6) Athena Trouillot (MSU) def. Veronica Lacerda (UIC) 6-2, 6-2