Feb. 16, 2014
CHICAGO, Ill. - Facing its first ranked opponent of the season, the Michigan State women's tennis team was swept 7-0 at the hands of No. 53 DePaul. MSU suffered its second defeat of the season inside Lakeshore Sport and Fitness in Chicago. The Spartans fall to 7-2 on the season.
After defeating 17-time defending Horizon League champion UIC on Saturday, MSU continued its weekend in Chicago and headed to DePaul looking to pull off an upset. The Blue Demons were too much for the Spartans, as MSU was able to win only one match on the day.
The lone win for the Spartans came on the doubles end as senior Marina Bohrer and freshman Erin Faulkner won 8-7 on the top court, defeating Patricia Fargas and Ana Vladutu. The duo of Bohrer and Faulkner upped their season dual play record to 6-1. The Spartan doubles teams on courts two and three were not able to match court one's success, marking just the second time all season in which the Spartans have not won the doubles point.
In singles, the Spartans lost five of the six matches in straight sets. After losing the first set 6-1, junior Catherine Parenteau came back strong to claim the second set 6-2, but ultimately lost 6-1 in the third set.
MSU returns home for three matches next weekend as it hosts Western Michigan on Feb. 21, and a doubleheader of Milwaukee and Wright State on Feb. 23.
1) Bohrer/Faulkner def. Fargas/Vladutu, 8-7
2) Kling/Lawson def. Meyers/Gruber, 8-2
3) Sufi/Mitrea def. Trouillot/Zelechonok, 8-7
1) Patricia Fargas def. Marina Bohrer, 6-0, 6-2
2) Ana Vladutu def. Erin Faulkner, 6-3, 6-1
3) Jasmin Kling def. Catherine Parenteau, 6-1, 2-6, 6-1
4) Kelsey Lawson def. Emily Meyers, 6-0, 7-6
5) Zaina Sufi def. Olga Chernova, 6-3, 6-1
6) Rebeca Mitrea def. Athena Trouillot, 6-3, 6-1