Feb. 23, 2014
EAST LANSING, Mich. - The Michigan State women's tennis team won its ninth and 10th matches of the season Sunday afternoon by sweeping its doubleheader of matches inside the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility. MSU took down Milwaukee, 6-1, in the first match of the day and then swept away Wright State, 7-0, in the second match. MSU improves to 10-2 on the season.
MSU is also coming off a 6-1 win on Friday night against Western Michigan.
"I think at the end of the day, we got through another doubleheader and that was the last one," head coach Simone Jardim said. "Coming off of Friday and going back at it a couple days later, we got the job done."
Sunday marked the third and final doubleheader on the schedule for the Spartans, and MSU has claimed all six of its doubleheader matches.
At 10-2, MSU is off to its best start under sixth-year coach Jardim. In fact, MSU is off to its best start since the 2006-07 season, when the Spartans started the season 10-2 as well.
Overall for the day, MSU won four of the five doubles matches and won 11 of the 12 singles matches.
Senior Marina Bohrer went 3-0 on the day, claiming two singles and a doubles win. She teamed with freshman Erin Faulkner on the top doubles court against Milwaukee and won, improving the duo's doubles record to 8-1 for the season. Bohrer also defeated Diana Tokar of Milwaukee 6-0, 6-1, and then took down Linsey Verstrepen of Wright State 6-2, 6-1, with both matches taking place on the top court. Bohrer has run her season singles record up to 10-1.
Sophomore Emily Meyers also went 3-0 on the day, with two singles and a doubles win. She paired with junior Julianne Gruber on the second doubles court against Milwaukee to win by a final of 8-6. Meyers and Gruber upped their doubles record together to 5-3 this season. Meyers went on to cruise past Aerielle Pendleton of Milwaukee on the fourth singles court, winning 6-0, 6-1. To finish the day, Meyers picked up a three-set victory over Vanessa Madrigal of Wright State on the third court, 7-6, 3-6, 10-4.
All in all, 10 Spartans found their way into the starting lineup and saw court time on Sunday. Including exhibition matches, all 13 Spartans on the roster played a match today.
The Spartans are off for a week before they head to Tampa, Fla., for a pair of matches. MSU will face Niagara at 9 a.m. March 5 and Mercer at 10 a.m. March 7. Both matches will be held on the campus of South Florida.
MSU 6, Milwaukee 1
1) Bohrer/Faulkner (MSU) def. Shannon/Tokar (UWM) 8-3
2) Meyers/Gruber (MSU) def. Marshall/Straub (UWM) 8-6
3) Colarossi/Kurer (UWM) def. Trouillot/Zelechonok (MSU) 8-6
1) Bohrer (MSU) def. Tokar (UWM) 6-0, 6-1
2) Marshall (UWM) def. Faulkner (MSU) 2-6, 6-4, 10-8
3) Parenteau (MSU) def. Shannon (UWM) 6-2, 7-6(3)
4) Meyers (MSU) def. Pendleton (UWM) 6-0, 6-1
5) Chernova (MSU) def. Straub (UWM) 6-1, 6-4
6) Trouillot (MSU) def. Kurer (UWM) 4-6, 7-5, 10-2
MSU 7, Wright State 0
1) Trouillot/Parenteau (MSU) def. Verstrepen/Cloern (WSU) 8-4
2) Lingl/Chernova (MSU) vs. V. Madrigal/Turner (WSU) 5-5, unfinished
3) Hager/Yen (MSU) def. A. Madrigal/Girgash (WSU) 8-2
1) Bohrer (MSU) def. Verstrepen (WSU) 6-2, 6-1
2) Faulkner (MSU) def. Cloern (WSU) 6-4, 6-1
3) Meyers (MSU) def. V. Madrigal (WSU) 7-6, 3-6, 10-4
4) Chernova (MSU) def. A. Madrigal (WSU) 6-2, 6-3
5) Gruber (MSU) def. Smith (WSU) 6-1, 6-0
6) Lingl (MSU) def. Girgash (WSU) 7-5, 7-5