Women's Tennis Edges Western Michigan, 4-3
MSU 4, WMU 3
Feb. 24, 2012
EAST LANSING, Mich. - Sophomore Olga Chernova won the key match at the No. 2 singles spot to give the Michigan State women's tennis team the 4-3 victory over Western Michigan. Chernova topped Maggie Reynse 6-3 in the first set and then eventually won the second 7-6 after winning the tiebreaker, 10-8.
"I'm so proud of my team today," said head coach Simone Jardim. "We played with a lot of heart and fight. We had great energy in doubles which helped us play well and win the doubles point. It was important for us to get that doubles point. In singles, everyone came out ready to play. We had a chance in all the matches and when that happens, I know we can beat anyone.
The Spartans started off the match with claiming the doubles points with two wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. Partners redshirt junior Dana Guentert and freshman Hilary Hager defeated Remynse and Maria Nivia, 8-1, to stay undefeated at 5-0. Junior Nicole Herzog and sophomore Katarina Lingl dropped Nini Sujashuili and Kathleen Hawkins, 8-1. Sophomore Marina Bohrer and freshman Julianne Gruber fell to Caroline Aleck and April Kerr in a tight match, 8-7 (7-5).
Bohrer notched her fifth singles victory of the season at the No. 3 spot after dropped Denny, 6-3, 6-3. Lingl was also able to record a win after defeating Hawkins, 6-4, 6-2.
Herzog fell to Sujashuili at the No. 1 spot, 6-4, 6-1. Gruber suffered a loss as well to Nivia, 6-4, 6-3. Guentert retired to Aleck, 6-3, 6-7, 3-1, at the No. 6 position.
The Spartans next match will be on March 2nd at Central Florida.
1.Nina Sujashuili (WMU) def. Nicole Herzog (MSU): 6-4, 6-1
2. Olga Chernova (MSU) Maggie Remynse (WMU): 6-3, 7-6 (10-8)
3. Marina Bohrer (MSU) def. Rachel Denny (WMU): 6-3, 6-3
4. Katarina Lingl def. (MSU) Kathleen Hawkins (WMU): 6-4, 6-2
5. Maria Nivia (WMU) def. Julianne Gruber (MSU): 6-4, 6-3
6. Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Dana Guentert (MSU): 6-3, 6-7, 3-1 ret.
Order of finish: 3, 5,1,4,2*,6
1. Herzog/Lingl (MSU) def. Sujashuli/Hawkins (WMU): 8-1
2. Aleck/Kerr (WMU) def. Bohrer/Gruber (MSU) : 8-7 (7-5)
3. Guentert/Hager (MSU) def. Remynse/Nivia (WMU): 8-1